X9S Zidoo X9S's language localization project

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by freeroc, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Michele985

Michele985 New Member Beta test group

@freeroc italian version is in final revision stage

2. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

Michele985, thanks so much!
    P.S. in any case, is still possible to make a better translation after release and consequent "use"...
    Else Zidoo should release a beta version only to translators, so we can do a possible revise.

3. Michele985

Michele985 New Member Beta test group

Bentornato! Ho notato che le schede erano ferme da un pò di giorni, mi son preso la briga di completare l'opera ;)

4. PacoRabanne

Assente per lavoro, ed ora un po' stanco...
    Was away cause job, now I'm little laboured...

5. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

Yes.We will release a beta version.

Michele985 and PacoRabanne like this.
  6. tomeeli

tomeeli Member

What about a translation in the settings menu of the Android "display", "network", etc.?

7. j0534ng31

j0534ng31 Member Beta test group

First of all, I'm sorry if I did what should not be done!

I've protected the spanish (Spain) cells (and marked it with my email address) because:
    - It's a lot of work to see it undone during a night time.
    - It's not so easy to be coherent in the terms used (as a whole, I mean!)
    - I've tested (so much as I could) that translation fits the space available in the real textboxes, just to see that another translator change it again (and now doesn't fit.)

If @freeroc or @mirror authorize me to maintain the spanish (Spain) translation, I will take on the commitment...
    Of course, you can take for granted that I will keep in mind any suggestion of another user or translator (by email, or as a cell comment).
    I expect to complete the translation this weekend.

Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  8. j0534ng31

@freeroc Can I make any suggestions?
    1. I suppose Latin American people will be more comfortable with (at least) another spanish column
      (we express ourselves in in distinct ways, and often the same words have different meanings)

2. Do you mind to make a new column for Google translator? I think it would be very useful to us... I mean:

• If the software or development master language is chinese...
      You (@freeroc) should:

1. Make a new column, intitled for instance as "English(AUTO)", right next to the current "English" one...
      2. Put in the first cell to be translated (as of now, row 6 in every sheet) something like this function:
      3. And, finally, you should copy that cell (D6) to every cell bellow it

This way Zidoo development team could:

• Tell at a glance if there are Chinese(HUMAN)-English(HUMAN) translations that doesn't match
      • Have a default full English(AUTO) translation to help you in making the English(HUMAN) one
      • Make a full HUMAN-to-AUTO default translation for every language you want by filling the current language columns with:
      • Make a not_always_so_full HUMAN-to-AUTO default translation for every language you want by filling the current language columns with:
      • And even make a full AUTO-to-AUTO default translation for every language you want by adding more columns with:

And we (translators) could:

• Be confident that Chinese(HUMAN)-English(HUMAN) translations match
      • Have a full "international english" translation
      • Put something like '=GoogleTranslate($B*, "zh-CN","es")' in empty cells of our language to have a HUMAN-to-AUTO CN-ES translation
      • Put something like '=GoogleTranslate($C*, "en","es")' in empty cells of our language to have a HUMAN-to-AUTO EN-ES translation
      • Put something like '=GoogleTranslate($D*, "en","es")' in empty cells of our language to have an AUTO-to-AUTO EN-ES translation

• If the software or development master language is english...
      You (@freeroc) should:

1. Make a new column, intitled for instance as "Chinese(AUTO)", right next to the current "English" one...
      2. Put in the first cell to be translated (as of now, row 6 in every sheet) something like this function:
      3. And, finally, you should copy that cell (D6) to every cell bellow it

This way Zidoo development team could:

• Tell at a glance if there are English(HUMAN)-Chinese(HUMAN) translations that doesn't match
      • Have a default full Chinese(AUTO) translation to help you in making the Chinese(HUMAN) one
      • Make a full HUMAN-to-AUTO default translation for every language you want by filling the current language columns with:

And we (translators) could:

• Be confident that English(HUMAN)-Chinese(HUMAN) translations match
      • Have a full chinese translation
      • Put something like '=GoogleTranslate($C*, "en","es")' in empty cells of our language to have a HUMAN-to-AUTO EN-ES translation

Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  9. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

The settings is original from Android itself. I thinks it is good enough?

10. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

Yes, of course you could maintain that column.
    We already authorized all of you to add and edit those translations.
    Thank you!

11. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

Yes,I understand. It is added.
    BTW,Does the Latin American Spainish have a official name?

Google translation column does not make sense, Chinese is not suitable for machine translation, some of results of translation may confuse you totally!

12. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

On Blu Ray's they normally refer to Castellano (Traditional Spanish) and Español (Latin American Spanish) respectively. As this is widely used I would stick to that. Done both for audio and subtitles.

In fact this is a bit strange as the level of difference in my perception is similar to the differences of British English and American English which is never differentiated nor provided concurrently on any BR I have seen.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  13. j0534ng31

@freeroc:

Perhaps what @tomeeli is trying to express is that he has the same problem as me:
    In my case, the language settings sometimes resets itself to "English (United States)", and I have to change it manually to "Spanish (Spain)" in the "Language & input" tab...

I commonly realize of that after rebooting, but I didn't report that behaviour as a bug because I often do that from "adb reboot"...
    (Whenever I have a 'new toy', I tend to report only bugs arisen during the 'standar user' use of the box.)

Anyway, even with language correctly set to "Spanish (Spain)", there are some categories that remain untranslated:
    • Ethernet Configuration (and all subsettings of it)
    • Network -> More -> DLNA DMR
    • Network -> More -> Set Device Name
    • Network -> More -> Miracast Sink
    • Network -> More -> OpenWrt Settings
    • Device -> Playback
    • Device -> HDMI CEC Functions
    • Device -> HDMI Rx Functions
    In my case, I don't think about it as a real problem, but it's a bit bizarre to see almost all settings translated except that ones.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  14. PacoRabanne

I think because aren't available in standard android settings. These needs a separed translation.
    ...I think

15. j0534ng31

Well! I've asked because, as you can read in my first post's spoiler, someone had changed my translation while I was sleeping... And my initial thought was to protect the the spanish (Spain) cells, keeping modification permissions only to you and me... So I did!
    Then, thinking better about it, I realized it was a very bad idea without first asking it to you... And, even with your authorization, that's not in the soul of an open translation project like this... So I reverted it!

The problem was/is:
    • A 'casual translator' had changed some translations, all of them on the first sheet.
    • The words used were Latin American spanish (understandable, but not used here anymore)... So it mixed two kinds of spanish language, and breaks coherence with the terms used in the rest of sheets.
    • The expressions used were also correct, even more than mines, but I've used the latter ones because the former doesn't fit in the real X9S textboxes (the lenght of the text was limited by the space available).
    Right now, I've solved it by making a fully new Google spreadsheet that:
    • First of all, imports just some columns from your spreadsheet
      (The ones useful for my work: A [Identifiers], B [English], C [Chinese], D [French], E [Italian], and F [Spanish].)
    • Has a new column to use as workplace and backup my own spanish translation
      (This way, I can revert any change if needed while avoiding to protect the original spanish cells)
    • Has a new column for Google automatic translation from the original Chinese to Spanish
      (It's not very useful, but saves me time... I'm trying to use a better engine, like http://mymemory.translated.net, but I couldn't yet for free)
    • Has a new column for Google automatic translation from every language that I also can understand/speak.
      (To help me in finding different terms for my own real translation: English, French, and Italian)
    So, to update the spanish translation, I just have to copy my current translation column over your one, sheet by sheet (cell comments are not overwrited, I've tested it).

16. j0534ng31

Yes, I agree...

I've just explained it because @tomeeli has mention "Display", available in standard Android settings (and, at least in spanish, correctly translated to "Pantalla").
    But I could'nt find the "Network" he/she is speaking about...

17. j0534ng31

Typo: "Spainish" should be "spanish".
    ('Spain' is the country, 'spanish' the language, and -it depends on where- again 'spanish' or 'spaniards' the people born here.)

And about your question, the short answer is no...
    • If I were you, I'll initially call it "American spanish", because there is more than one
      (Cuban people don't speak as Argentine people, and so on.)
    • Then, if someone shows up to make the task, I'll just ask him
      (It's very possible that he wants to do a specific "spanish(Country)" translation.)

For the same reason, and speaking again about the "spanish (Spain)" translation, I'd call it this way (as it's the standard)... No the most correct, but it's the usual name for "universal spanish".
    The fully correct name should be "castilian spanish (Spain)", but a lot of users search only by the "s" letter on the language list (and American Spanish people usually call it simply "spanish", the same as foreigners.)

Anyway, take in mind that is possible (depending on the Zidoo sales figures in Spain) that someone wants to create and maintain, for instance, a "catalan (Spain)", "galician (Spain)", or "euskera (Spain)".
    See below for more info...

As this is an always controversial topic, I'll try to express myself without offending sensibilities or excluding anyone
    • Spain is a country with multiple vernacular languages: being 'castellano' the official main one and spoken in all the country.
      (Best known by foreigners as 'castilian', 'castilian spanish' or simply 'spanish'.)
    • There are other three regional official languages in Spain. In alphabetic order: 'catalán', 'gallego' y 'vascuence' (or 'euskera', as it's said in 'vascuence').
      (They are commonly found in all big software projects.)
    • In the specific case of 'catalán', there are two linguistic varieties: 'valenciano' and 'mallorquín'.
      (Apart from the main 'catalán' language, and spoken in two different regions out of "Catalonia".)
      (Not so usually found in software projects, I think because 'catalán' is very similar.)
    • Finally, there are some regional dialects also widely used. In chronological order: 'astur-leones' ( or 'bable', or simply 'asturian'), 'navarro-aragonés' (or 'fablas'), 'andaluz', 'canario', 'murciano', and 'extremeño'.
      (Even less common to find in software projects, except perhaps 'asturian/bable'.)

So I agree that the best should be "castilian spanish (Spain)", but I often see it as "spanish (Spain)" (even as a link to the same language resources).

About the "spanish (Latin American)", I think this way is correct, but it's only an opinion...
    I would prefer to await the view of someone living in those countries.

18. tomeeli

tomeeli Member

To language not set to English, turn off the setting in CEC, auto change of language. Regarding my question, I would like to translate from English to Russian in the settings menu, where there is no translation, including in the developer menu.

Is it possible to do it as well as added in translation https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...F-aa0HCcECknl2p876_lkkEA9c/edit#gid=190056043 File Explorer, Video Player, etc., to add translation settings menu (display, menu developers, network setup, HDMI CEC, Playback) in their native language

19. j0534ng31

Большое спасибо за помощь
    Thank you very much for the trick! ;)

20. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I have been living several years myself both in Latin America (Bolivia) and Spain (Cataluña). Do understand most of the Catalán (as I have a basic understanding in French too) but don't speak it myself. People from other regions don't understand Catalán mostly as it is grammar wise more complicated and also includes a mix of old Spanish and French words. Latin American people always refer to Spanish as their language hardly ever as Castellano, but in Spain they may use either. Still visit both countries about yearly.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016