All you need to know about RTD1619BPD and RTD1619DR based players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Aug 17, 2020.

1. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

Got my Z10 Pro. The PQ quality is much better than Plex through Nvidia Shield. I am hooked now. The software side is another story though. The Home Theater software is much more difficult & cumbersome to use than Plex. One problem I have now is that I ripped extras (deleted scenes, interviews, etc) with Plex naming standards and it seems like Zidoo uses different standards. I have close to 2,000 unmatched files and a lot of wrongly matched ones. Manging them through a web browser is a nightmare as the screen refreshes every time I unmatched or rematched a file. For now, is there a way for the scanner to delete & exclude files with certain characters in it like -featurette.mkv, -deleted.mkv, and -interview.mkv? Seems like Zidoo is already doing this with -trailer.mkv.

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I would not know and is beyond this topic. HT4 is available also on older platforms and updated occasionally.
    Hardly use HT4 myself.

There is a lot written about it on this forum.

3. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

Another question. I have been trying to see picture quality difference between Z10 Pro (playing ISO file) and the Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 (playing remux file through Plex). I cannot do side by side comparion so I tested by switching HDMI input on my receiver to watch same scene of the same movies (I tried Blade Runner 2049, My Fair Lady, and In the Heights - all 4K version). To my eyes, the Zidoo looks better especially in dark scenes. The color looked brighter, more correct, and more pleasant. Am I dreaming things and/or talking non-sense here? Should there be a discernable difference from different streaming box/media player?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    DennisTheMenace likes this.
  4. Nice Monkey

vddan likes this.
  5. richard maxford

richard maxford New Member

Dear Brak16,

if you don't want to have any problem of watching movies in dolby vision
    i advise you not to buy any of the 3, not Dune or Zidoo with Realtek RTD1619DR chipset, but you have to buy Oppo UDP203
    which has the official dolby vision license and you can see everything without problems.
    or if you want to save money, take the Oppo UDp 203 clone called M9702, perhaps combined with an LG OLED TV. and you will have the best that is on the market today

6. Nice Monkey

As you can see I have all of those and OPPO does not produce a better picture with DV. Yes in theory it could but it has an older chip and in practice it doesn't. Also observed by many others, some claiming Zidoo to be even slightly better.
    OPPO is a very good disc player but not a media player which offer a lot more functionality. I only use it now for MCH Music (DSD SACD or DVD-Audio) myself which thus far are never available with media players.

"Oh yes" I have a friend who sticks like glue to his OPPO because he wants the following to work perfect: UHD with DV + BD Menu processing + Seamless Branching + (basic) External Subtitle SRT handling. Specifically this combination in fact is still not working perfect with any Dune or Zidoo player. As he calls it "close but no cigar". A Zidoo will do it all but without BD menu and a Dune will do it with Full Menu but without External SRT support then.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  7. Claudiu

Claudiu Member

Hi, I am thinking about changing my X10 with a Z10 pro and from this topic I understand there is no more OpenWRT, meaning there is no Transmission included? Is there any work around as in known android app, working on the box?

I basically want this change just to be able to play DV mkvs. Is there anything more? Do you think there is also some more in picture quality? I am using a CX Oled and sometimes I can spot some banding.

Also, can the Z10 pro completely decode DTS-HD ans DTS X as the Oled does not decode or passthrough these to the AVR?

Thank you.

8. Nice Monkey

9. HiSalt

HiSalt Member

Just out of interest, is this information provided with the unit?

If this type of information isn't provided, what would happen if the average Joe bought the Z9X, set it up at home with a SATA HDD and plugged in his USB HDD in with the stock PSU the Z9X comes with?

How would he know he needs to replace the PSU with a 12V 4A (earthed) unit when using this model with 2x SATA HDD"s?

10. Nice Monkey

They include the minimal sizes. So they will do their job but may run at peak load when populating all the ports (very few use the SATA port) . Hot swapping (officially not recommended) may result in a power dip re-booting the player. I like PSU's to run at 50% max during normal use and only peak at HDD startup. Higher models all use a 12V 5A PSU so also Zidoo prefers this. But competition is strong and saving a dime is considered for every piece for cheap(er) models.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  11. maxhim

maxhim Active Member

I use this USB HUB with its own power supply. Because when I connected 4 HDD to the Zidoo, it kept freezing. Now, work perfectly :)

20211109_140822.jpg

12. mojojojo

mojojojo New Member

4 separate hard drives? You should be using a NAS at this point.

13. Nice Monkey

Who wants a NAS? Prefer a USB Docking since many years have a 5-slot and even a 10-slot.

14. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Any Redundancy?

15. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I have all my music, movies and TV series on NAS and they sit on the network, independent of any players and accessible by any client that wants them - I have Dunes, Mede8ers (remember them!) and Zidoos with the odd smart TV, PC and Nvidia Shield that can all access them, and I can easily chose which client can access which resource.

For audio I have Linn DS and Squeezebox all singing from the same hymn sheet.

That'd be a real struggle with USB!

16. Markswift2003

I had a really bad experience years ago when I lost an entire music library of over 100,000 songs to a buffalo NAS box.

Since then I've moved away from proprietary spanning and I simply mirror. So I have 1:1 copies of all my music and all my movies.

RAID is great until it goes catastrophic and then you have a hell of a time picking up the pieces. Brilliant if one or even two drives fail, depending on configuration, but I've been at the blunt end of a whole array cacking itself!

17. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

It's personal choice of course. In my case I rely on my NAS's thinking an array is more secure than an individual drive. At present I am not backing up my 4K films or Hires music though so need to do something soon > 18 TB Hmmmmm

18. Markswift2003

This is the problem - the amount of storage we use is bonkers these days - the rebuild times can be crazy!

19. Markswift2003

I just read what you said properly... "I am not backing up my 4K films or Hires music" :eek:

I assume you're using at least RAID 5?

20. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Nope not yet - just using 2 HDD's lol!