Zidoo 1619 HDR & VS10 Black Level Issues expanded...

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Jun 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

Didnt buy this for SDR but..

Running an OLD tv series like Space 1999 thr the Z9X with Vs10 DV was a major improvement
    ie scenes outside on the moon or in the space vehicles turned a dark grey background with terrible looking stars in to inky black skies with bright stars
    The inside spacebase scenes etc which tended to be faded out also saw huge improvements with colours popping nicely
    little bit of Black crush but minor compared to all the improvements gained

Atm im watching 4k AI upscales for Star Trek voyager and 1080p AI upscales for 3rd rock from the sun

Both look good with just the hdr via my Z9S in the bedroom

Both look Fantastic with VS10 DV turned on via Z9X and pana Z1000 Oled

Its an added bonus for older ppl like me that have lots of older content they still enjoy watching

Netmask and Markswift2003 like this.
  2. compingharry

compingharry New Member

I will keep that in mind...Voyager and Deep Space Nine are still on DVD...What a shame they could not upgrade those two series...

3. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Star Trek Yoyager Deff yes Ds9 mmmmm

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

TNG rules above all!

compingharry likes this.
  5. DELUCAS

Sev
    id be happy with seven of nine ;)

6. Markswift2003

Fair comment

DELUCAS likes this.
  7. tosh123

tosh123 Member

Damn, i have updated to the 6.3.22 and now the cured blacklevels are gone.

8. compingharry

compingharry New Member

You mean, Seven of Mine ? :D

DELUCAS likes this.
  9. DELUCAS

Or all of mine ;)

How on earth Yoyager 7/9 has come up in conversation of VS10 Black Level issues ………;) :)

10. Markswift2003

Nothing has changed with the black levels in firmware - it must have been a setting somewhere that's changed.

Try this:

Settings/Display/Colour Settings/HDMI Range - 0-255
    Settings/Display/HDR: Dolby Vision VS10 (for all content)

On some displays this mitigates the black floor issue for displays that don't have HDMI quantisation for YCC.

11. vddan

vddan Active Member

On my installation, it was several firmwares that I had not looked at the 'VS10 engine' because of the 'blacks' and yesterday I tried again and recalibrated the image and there ..... miracle the deviation of the corrections is practically normal !!
    -brightness at 31
    -contrast at 32
    The image is perfect and superb ..................... so I think there has been a correction!

12. Markswift2003

But what VS10 mode are you using? SDR, HDR or Dolby Vision?

SDR is affected the most, HDR to a lesser degree and Dolby Vision is not affected.

13. vddan

vddan Active Member

Full Dolby Vision !!
    And yet at the beginning when I was using it it needed a lot more correction than now?

14. Markswift2003

Ah - so this issue doesn't affect Dolby Vision.

15. Gilles

Gilles New Member

Mark do you know if Zidoo is in progress regarding this issue (black level) ?

16. Markswift2003

I'm afraid no progress as far as I know - it seems to be a VS10 issue and I don't think Zidoo have any control over it.

17. Gilles

Gilles New Member

But Zidoo can contact Dolby about that.

18. Markswift2003

They did but nothing seems to have come of it.

19. johnwoods41

johnwoods41 New Member

@Markswift2003 question on this, if im playing UHD rips in mkv of both HdR10 and DV to an HDR10 and HDR10+ display and leave the player set to "auto" would I experience any raised black levels? it should just play HDR10 right? im confused on your chart for DV profile 5 for HDR displays.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  20. Markswift2003

You're right that in Auto, SDR and HDR10(+) are played natively so no raised blacks. However DV Profile 5 has to be converted to HDR10 by the VS10 engine because the base layer (which is the only layer in Profile 5) is not backwards compatible with HDR10 due to the use of a constant luminance colour space (called IPT, not to be confused with ITP!).

As far as I know, other than demos, the only source of Profile 5 content is from online providers like Netflix etc so it's not really an issue - all ripped DV UHD BluRay content is, by definition, Profile 7 which has an HDR10(+) compatible base layer so plays in HDR10(+).

The raised blacks for VS10 HDR are not nearly as obvious as VS10 SDR.

I need to update the first post because we've since found that not all TVs are affected by this issue - it seems to be dependent on whether the TV has the ability to select HDMI quantisation range in YCbCr (this can be seen in the EDID).

johnwoods41 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.