Forced Subtitles Not Automatic?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nicholas Hewitt, Jun 13, 2021.

1. johnwoods41

johnwoods41 New Member

Ive done this and works like a charm, many thanks

2. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

You're welcome.

3. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

Is there any setting that could possibly be preventing my subtitles from showing in the playback menu? I just want it to show all subtitles available when pressing the sub menu button. So what should the settings be to accomplish that?

4. lami

lami New Member

All forced subs play fine for me (Z1000Pro) but I always scan every movie and if it reports forced subs it makes a .sub file for the forced subs only then I add it with tsMuxeR.

I also have everything movie only, and strip out any unwanted languages etc, dont know if that makes any difference.

5. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

I doubt if it's possible. Not having tested with yesterday's firmware but on previous ones, I also couln't get conditionally authored subtitles to work properly when a mkv was authored with more than one.

As a suggestion and like a lot of people do as a moron-proof workaround, maybe you want to author your mkv's with full subtitle tracks and separate tracks for "forced only" for each language. But without flagging them as forced. That way, and with "Forced subtitles" switched to "Off" in the Zidoo playback settings, you will always have all available subtitles in the list. Of course this means, that when you want to display "forced subs only", you'll have to manually set them.

Not only in this light, it would be nice if Zidoo makes their players being able to read & show a subtilte track's (or actually, any track's) name that was given during authoring. For a mediaplayer this ability is nowadays considered to be natural & a no-brainer, actually. Which same would go for mp3-tags and vorbis comments.

6. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

6.3.12 can show the subtilte track's name on MKVs

7. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

As said, I haven't tested latest firmware yet thoroughly. Including this feature. Of course I gladly stand corrected in this case and will check things out in the near future.
    Thanks for this correction & heads-up, @mirror.

[EDIT] I checked, and indeed it's a pleasure to experience the names of subtitletracks being displayed in the list. Well done & thank you, Zidoo.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  8. blondvillain

blondvillain New Member

I have some MKV files with a single .SUP stream for subtitles which contain both the normal non-forced subs as well as the forced subs that are flagged "forced" within the .SUP file itself (which can be seen when opening the .SUP file in BDSup2Sub). The Zidoo Z9X doesn't seem to honor forced flags in .SUP files, are these not supported? This is a common thing to find on Blu-ray discs. None of the settings for the Z9X I've tried have gotten these types of forced subs to work. The subs display fine if the track is manually enabled, but the forced subs don't appear automatically when then track is selected.

For comparison, Kodi fully supports these types of forced subs (tested on Nvidia Shield).

9. dwalme

dwalme New Member

Came across this thread because I was wondering the same thing. I have been moving my MKV rips back to .TS for Dolby Vision FEL playback on another device. What I have been finding out is that many forced subtitles on disc are merged into the main language subtitle. Every player I use except the Z9X seems to play only the forced subtitles from this track.

Anyone have anymore information on if the Z9X can play the forced subtitles that are merged in together with the main PGS subtitle file in TS container?

10. Frostb!te

Frostb!te Member

My Z9S constantly chooses the first subtitle track in mkv files. No matter what subtitle selection behaviour I choose in the settings menu, or which flags the subtitle tracks have. The tool Mediainfo shows for subtitle track 1: default NO, forced NO & subtitle track 2: default: YES, forced YES. Though it chooses subtitle track 1, even if enabling "use 1st forced subtitle" instead of "automatic" :rolleyes:

11. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Change the sub order and default in mkvtoolnix or remove the unwanted subs and other tracks you don’t need. Alternatively you could extract the sub you want and put it in the same folder etc. Takes a few minutes.

12. K.W.H.

K.W.H. New Member

Wouldn't it be so much easier if they released a firmware where the "default" and/or "forced" subs flag could be honored no matter where in the hierarchy it was located? Pretty much every other players honors this.

Maybe it is too much to ask for.

Frostb!te likes this.
  13. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Next FW will have a "default flag" option for HT, alternative Jellyfin Zidoo-Edition handles subtitles + flag combinations correctly.

PS: I tried to explain to the Zidoo dev's that the way they handle flag's is way too simple and needs more checks/changes.
    They seemed kinda confused on those issues, but at least added the "Default" flag option, which i explained may also miss-behave the way they implemented it...
    Thats why my Jellyfin client by default ignores all audio/sub flag related system settings and uses its own "smart" logic.

14. K.W.H.

K.W.H. New Member

I am looking forward to testing it as well. I also tried to tell them that their default flag handling was lacking proper function. All they said was that "engineers were looking into it."

I will check out Jellyfin Zidoo-Edition as well. Although not really looking forward to re-scanning/scrapping my whole library again. It's HUGE and it took me forever on TinyMediaManager.

15. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Certainly it would be easier if the firmware did but for me and years of a variety of media players plus I am a bit of a control freak, I prefer to have control of my content. So I pare down all my files to the essential elements. Examine any of my MKV files and you find 1 video track, 1 x audio and one complete subtitle (not SDH).

Phil181 likes this.
  16. K.W.H.

K.W.H. New Member

Default subs flags are almost perfect (on the new 6.4.18) but they still have a bug. If you set default (primary) subs to "follow default flag" then BDMV folders with a single sub file (track) will have the subs showing at all times (wrong). The forced subtitles set to "follow default flag" works properly for MKV if the forced track is set to default or BDMV folders only if the "forced" is set on a separate sub track and not on the primary/only track since it assumes that is the one set to default (wrong since BDMV does not assign default to a single sub track unless it is different from the primary audio track). If the forced subs are only flagged as forced in the default track the entire sub track will show all subs (wrong, should only play the forced unless the audio is not the primary).

The Auto and follow default flag options now seem to be fighting against each other.

BTW, the correct method is honored by all other players so the developers are just one step away from fixing this.