Dolby Vision FEL Playback

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

ok so i have been using the oppo clone for Dolby Vision and works fantastic. I am intrigued by the MKV Dolby Vision on the latest players. So can someone give me solid advice does this playback genuine Dolby Vision or is it fake DV?

2. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

all the info weve seen on here so far says full DV is being output for MEL ,and for FEL its base layer only ,since the zidoo only has 1 graphics engine ...2 built in gpus are needed to play back both the Base layer and enhanced layers

other devices which were claiming to do full DV were only doing a vs10 conversion ,if i remeber correctly

One advantage is we arent just limited to MKVs now , and iso and BDMV formats also work for both MEL and FEL DV types

3. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

Thanks for quick reply so really i might as well ignore and keep using my oppo clone because that is pure genuine DV?

4. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

dont have an oppo to be able to answer

ppl have asked on here on other threads which is better and it seems pretty even
    ie some things oppo does better and some the Zidoo does

Zidoo was my choice cos WAY under the price of an oppo/oppoclone to get here in NZ

5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Just to elaborate - yes, this device plays genuine Dolby Vision.

It plays all current Dolby Vision profiles and levels using Base Layer + RPU (Profiles 4, 5, 7, 8 at all levels)

For Dual Layer Profiles which have a Full Enhancement Layer (Profiles 4 & 7) it ignores the video essence of the enhancement layer (which needs a second HEVC decoder) but still uses the RPU correctly. This of course does not affect the playback of Dual Layer Profiles with Minimal Enhancement Layer.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    xskip and Mariusz like this.
  6. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

Thank you will order a player.

7. Markswift2003

With a name like that I think you have to ;)

8. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

And which model will you order?

9. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

Z1000 Pro arriving tomorrow.

I have an old X9s also which i have been using but gave up with it and used my oppo clone, i know the zidoo will never be as good. The oppo is not great for MKV and the annoying Dolby Atmos bug.

10. Markswift2003

These boxes excel at MKV - they support a load of other formats but I use MKV exclusively and for that they are utterly bomb proof.

xskip likes this.
  11. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%

12. blondvillain

blondvillain New Member

What is the preferred app for playback, just the native Zigdoo player? Are other players like Plex or Kodi supported?

I'm super keen on a Z9X after learning of its capability with DV MKV!

EDIT: btw I noticed in your sig that you have an Nvidia Shield as well, what do you use it for?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  13. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

I'm wondering whether it may worth to change Z9X by Z1000 Pro. Any real advantage? Specially when you play a projector...

14. Markswift2003

The Zidoo is designed primarily as a local playback device using its own interface (which is excellent) and playback engine.

If you want to use Kodi and/or Plex you should look elsewhere but you won't find the same DV flexibility in any other device.

I use the Shield purely for online services - Netflix, Amazon. This gives me best in class local playback from the Zidoo and best in class online playback from the Shield.

Af8F likes this.
  15. Markswift2003

As far as video playback is concerned, no advantage - the bigger players have disc bays and better audio circuitry for music but the video engine is the same.

Af8F and xskip like this.
  16. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Thanks for your advice, really outright as always!!

17. blondvillain

blondvillain New Member

Ah, gotcha. I thought the Shield suffered from an issue with red push when outputting DV? Are the streaming apps not affected or something? For online services I mostly rely on my LG OLED's native apps because that's most convenient way for me to access streaming DV content, and they seem pretty solid for the most part. HBO Max just got added to the LG app roster as well so pretty much full coverage now.

For non-DV MKV playback from my personal collection, I currently use a 2017 Shield which can't do DV at all, ofc. Was considering a 2019 Shield upgrade until I saw all the reports of inaccurate DV playback.

Got my order in for a Z9X! Looking forward to seeing what it can do, and thanks for your feedback.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  18. jchanmc

jchanmc Member

Hi Markswift, what's the latest firmware for 1000Pro? Will there be a new firmware coming out soon and what will be the improvements?

19. Markswift2003

I'm sure it'll be released shortly.

20. HiSalt

HiSalt Member

I think I may have found my setup.

For the last few weeks I have been trying to work out what the best way is for me to play all my DV UHD Blueray rips, I was going to buy a Shield and use a 14Tb (Why is my 1 & 4 so tiny? Just noticed that for the first time) connected to it and setup plex server on it to watch my rips but then found out it only has DV profile 5 so that was out of the question. Can you connect the external HDD to the Zidoo and watch content that way? I'm still trying to decide whether to buy a Synology or just use an external HDD that has my rips and connect it to the Zidoo if possible and watch them that way. If I do end up getting a Synology one day I can always shuck the drive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.