EDID thread (RTD1619DR players)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It seems that the LG 2015 TVs do not support HDR, or at least they didn't when released - there was talk of a a firmware update for some 2015 models to support HDR but I have no idea if that happened or whether your TV was included in the updates.

2. modimu

modimu New Member

Unfortunately I`ve got an answer from LG support:
    I have had a look into this for you and am keen to assist. I can confirm that HDR is not being displayed, as the TV’s HDMI ports do not support this. In order for HDR to be supported, the TV must have the physical HDMI 2.0a ports, and as your TV only has 2.0 this is not supported. There is no firmware or software that can amend this, as it is entirely down to the hardware of the TV.

3. Hi !
    How do you use the EDID display and editing program?
    Thanks.

4. Markswift2003

Not quite sure what you mean?

5. I downloaded EEDIT EDITOR from the previous page, but I can't find information about DV / LLDV support anywhere
    I saved EDID.bin via the ZIDOO device. My TV supports Dolby Vision, HDR10 +, HDR, HGL

The point is that I have a worse picture on TV with Dolby Vision Support when using the VS10 engine (SDR → VS10) than when I use HDR mapping from realtek.
    Therefore, I would like to find more information via EDID.

When using a combination:
    SDR → HDR : The image has rich colors.
    SDR → VS10 (player LED) : The image is average, faint in color and contrast (output = 12Bit).
    SDR → VS10 (TV LED) : The image is average, faint in color and contrast (output = only 8bit color).

My TV has a realtek CPU and provides the SDR → HDR conversion function and the picture is a bit better than when converting with the help of ZIDOO.
    That's why I'm looking for where the problem comes from, or if it's a ZIDOO player property.

The second problem is that when switching the HZ it takes an awful long time (a few seconds black screen and then the switch switches to 24Hz, for example).
    It's definitely not a TV, because on other devices (Shield, Dune, VIM3) switching Hz (auto frame) takes me about 1s.
    When I switch the HDMI source to the TV (for example from HDMI1 = Shield to HDMI2 = ZIDOO, it sometimes takes up to ten seconds for the ZIDOO to appear.
    (I don't use CEC).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  6. Markswift2003

Dolby Vision information is held in a 12 or 15 byte VSVDB (Vendor Specific Video Data Block - more commonly know as VSDB) within the CEA Extension of the EDID - you can identify it from Dolby's IEE Registration Code - 00D046 - but it needs decoding - VSDB formats are generally not public domain, and are most certainly not in Dolby's case. If you're curious, post your EDID and I can decode it.

The Realtek SDR to HDR conversion is terrible - although the tone mapping itself isn't too bad, the colour conversion is awful. If you really want to output SDR using the Realtek engine and your display supports it, SDR.2020 is a lot lot better since the colour space stays as is.

VS10 does a much better job so I'm not sure why yours is lacking colour and contrast - it certainly shouldn't be.

By the way, 8-bit RGB is correct for Standard DV - it uses HDMI tunneling to produce the 12-bit image.

Time taken for HDMI sync is down to the display - the mode changes more or less instantaneously on the output - but think yourself lucky - although my Samsung flatscreen only takes a couple of seconds, my JVC projector takes a full 15 seconds!!

DevlopperWEB81 likes this.
  7. Thank you for your clear and quick answer. So the 8Bit output is fine, that's what I'm glad.
    So I would like to send my EDID for review.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  8. Markswift2003

Yes, 8-bit RGB is fine - it's a clever Dolby trick to allow Dolby Vision to be compatible with HDMI 1.4 and still deliver a 12-bit signal.

The Dolby block in your EDID translates as follows:

EB:01:46: D0:00:44:4F:52:72:5E:67:86

DV Version: 2
    DV DM Version: v3.x
    DV Interface: standard and low latency 422 12bit
    2160p60: supported
    YUV422 12bit: not supported
    Global Dimming: supported
    Backlight Control: not supported, default 100 nits
    RED Primary: 0.672, 0.313
    GREEN Primary: 0.223, 0.684
    BLUE Primary: 0.152, 0.055
    MAX/MIN Luminance: 431 / 0.045 nits

The full report is attached - basically this is a full 600MHz EDID with Standard/Low Latency Dolby Vision and HDR10+

Attached Files:

DevlopperWEB81 likes this.
  9. Thank you very much Markswift2003 for your time and reviewed my EDID!

Markswift2003 likes this.
  10. Markswift2003

Any time ;)

11. Ganimedessp

Ganimedessp New Member

Hi,
    I'm trying to use Vertex Edid files in Zidoo to achieve max quality in my Sony projector.
    I don't know what are doing bad but image with DV engine is worst than HDR in auto. And in auto, image is the same as Zidoo X8.
    When LLDV is active, Zidoo is not sending HDR signal to projector and I have to activate manually. I have read that it is ok in this way. But Image is too dark then....

I have downloaded EDID Editor but I don't know where luminace information must be changed as with LLDV activated, films are darker and less black details that whitout LLDV activated. If someone could help me to localize where can I change luminance in Edid .bin file I would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

12. Markswift2003

The luminance settings for LLDV are contained in the Dolby VSDB (Vendor Specific Data Block) in the CEA extension of the EDID and unfortunately the way that VSDB is constructed is not public domain.

The LLDV BT2020 EDID I provided for Zidoo has a Dolby Block with a max luminance of 1000nits so it matches perfectly to an HDR gamma curve that's tone mapped for a 1000nit HDR signal.

If you can activate HDR manually on your projector, can you set the target nits? If so, set to 1000.

If you can't, if you tell me what the target nits is when HDR is manually set and I can make an EDID for you to match.

I'm surprised though, because 1000nits is pretty standard for this.

If you don't know the target nits, give this a try - it's a 400nit BT2020 LLDV EDID:

https://mega.nz/file/NHQ3XI5C#ja_U1rC4P9B18jQh0Mw95gIewyuc3AaIZE2J1lt1uWI

If you can provide your Projector EDID, as long as it's not too "full" I can add a Dolby block to it.

vddan likes this.
  13. vddan

vddan Active Member

Hello,
    I use your following EDID: 'LLDV BT2020 EDID' and I manage to have a very nice picture with sound decoding in Atmos and DTS HDMA, but I'm just missing the HDR 10+; all the other decoding (HDR, HDR10, DOLBY VISION) are good !!
    It is normal or not or can you make me the same EDID by adding the HDR10 + ......... that would be extremely nice!

14. Markswift2003

Here you go.

This is the same EDID with the addition of HDR10+:

https://mega.nz/file/QPBBXazT#PB7VwbcpgTEwmCLlGxqK10MK2mvNa1lciqZEl-1rqMw

15. vddan

vddan Active Member

What to say !! You are irreplaceable ........... a big thank you I just tested on the film '1917' in HDR10 + and superb .......... !!!
    Now a technical question: is the DOLBY VISION still in 12 bit or can we have it in 10 bit ???
    This question because for example on 'ALITA' in DOLBY VISION, we therefore go to 12 bit and I find the image a little clear if I may say ........... what do you think.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  16. Markswift2003

LOL - this is an EDID that will allow 10-bit 444, 12-bit 444, 10-bit RGB, 12-bit RGB and 12-bit 422 in Dolby Vision LLDV only (standard DV will always be in an 8-bit RGB HDMI tunnel).

And HDR10+

Just be aware that your display may not support these modes.

https://mega.nz/file/pboGzY4Q#sjLkHkEoxeKwpJBLOMMkEcU35a7uwNPD9OLucXC725A

17. Markswift2003

I've added these EDIDs to the front page too...

18. vddan

vddan Active Member

OK, so that's what I thought ....... thanks again!
    What more does the new link you put bring?
    Thank you in advance for your reply.

19. Markswift2003

Just the extra LLDV modes

20. vddan

vddan Active Member

Yes tested in 4.2.2 - and I found some colorimetry on the DOLBY VISION, I will test all of this over the next few days!
    Thank you again and have a nice day.