Can the Z9X output audio from both HDMI and optical/Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Stratos_K, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

Hello guys,

I have a home theater system connected to my Zidoo Z9X and what I wanted to ask is if the Zidoo can output the signal normally through the HDMI output but at the same time output audio through either the optical port or through a Bluetooth connection.

I am asking because I am trying to find a way to have my AV receiver play the audio through my main speakers but at the same time have some Bluetooth headphones that will also playback the sound.

Ideally I would prefer the optical port because this way I could connect something like this

https://www.meeaudio.com/T1CMA/

These headphones use AptX low latency which is ideal for watching videos while with a normal Bluetooth connection the latency would surely be higher. So having HDMI out and optical would be the best.

Is this possible?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

HDMI and SPDIF should work in parallel but Bluetooth does not. Like USB Output is switches off HDMI/SPDIF when selected.

3. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

So HDMI and optical can output audio at the same time? Is this for sure?

4. Nice Monkey

Never tried myself. Anybody?

5. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

Unfortunately I don't have a device with an optical input otherwise I would try it myself.

If anyone can help us with that please let us know.

6. Superdog

Superdog Member

My Z9X have both HDMI connect to TV and eARC to the soundbar and also optical directly to the soundbar. Default is HDMI output and I have to disable the HDMI in order to use the optical output to soundbar.

7. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

So to be clear you have both the HDMI out and optical on the Zidoo connected but there is no audio from the optical port when you output the signal from HDMI? You have the SPDIF option enabled at all times, correct?

If it's not too much trouble can you try something else? Disconnect the soundbar from the TV so the TV is connected to the Zidoo through the HDMI port and leave the soundbar connected to the Zidoo only through the optical port. Try it this way. You get sound from both the TV and soundbar or not?

8. Superdog

Superdog Member

I have to disconnect the HDMI in order to use the optical output.

Nice Monkey likes this.
  9. Nice Monkey

Superdog likes this.
  10. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

Damn. I had a hope.

11. CGI

CGI Member

Hi, Config - z1000 pro - HDMI - Denon 3600 - MP6 - plays OK
    same time z1000 pro- optical - Ext. DAC - Denon 3600 analog - plays simultaneously, just have to switch Denon's input.
    USB out- off
    But - the problem I have - is that in order to play any music at all I have to start a MOVIE, may be just to initialize the interface :(
    and then the music appears - bug. Otherwise - no sound from MP6

12. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

Wait...you say that you have your Zidoo 1000 pro connected both through the HDMI and optical ports and both of them can output simultaneously? You just change the input in your Denon and from both inputs you get sound at the same time?

13. CGI

CGI Member

YES
    having in mind that if I could get any sound at all I have to start a movie/video for a second just to get the sound - bug

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  14. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

Interesting...I am curious if this applies to the Z9X also or only applies to the Z1000 pro.

And also I want this for movies not for music. So I guess this bug will not affect me.

15. Nice Monkey

This in fact was expected by me. HDMI and S/PDIF work in HW using the SOC. Identical for all models.

16. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

So in theory if it works for the z1000 pro it should work the same for the Z9X?

17. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

Yes it does because except the hdd bay Z1000 Pro and Z9X are identical.

18. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

I bought a Bluetooth transmitter with an optical port so soon I will be able to confirm all this. Hopefully they will work at the same time.

19. maggiesfan

maggiesfan New Member

Yes it works, I have the Z10 & Z10 pro and both work with HDMI connected to my Denon AVR and sound coming through the speakers and a Phonak TV link connected to the optical out on the Zidoo Z10 pro which then streams the sound to my Phonak hearing aids via Bluetooth from the Phonak TV link, works really well, just like having Bluetooth headphones on .
    Couldn’t get it to work on the Dune box though, only one or the other would work, not both.

20. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

OK guys I am here to confirm that the Zidoo Z9X can output audio from its optical port while using the HDMI output at the same time.

I had bought a Bluetooth transmitter with some Bluetooth headphones and by enabling the Optical port in the Zidoo setting I now have audio both to my headphones and through my AV receiver that is connected to the Zidoo through the HDMI port.

Only keep one thing in mind. Due to the limitations of the optical port you will not get any sound if the content uses Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio tracks. The formats that did work for me were Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1 and Dolby Atmos through the Dolby Digital Plus codec. But I see an huge increase in Dolby Digital Plus content due to it being used by many streaming services so this shouldn't be a big problem.