Review: Zidoo Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Sledgehamma, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Thank you very much, you were very fast and solved my question in the best possible way ....... Thanks again, Andrea.

2. Stefano C

Stefano C Member

Can I ask how is subtitles handling with hdr video? I have a LG CX and when I use Plex and play a hdr video I can only use .srt subtitles (and when I play a unsupported from tv audio codec+subtitles it starts video transcoding and so video quality became worse). Is zidoo z9x capable to apply .srt/.pgs/.vobsub subtitles to all hdr videos (hdr/hdr10/dolby vision)?
    Thanks...

3. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Tested SRT and PGS with HDR10 and DV and had no problems.

Stefano C likes this.
  4. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

Even pgs with color other than white? In the movie godfather with vs10 engine in lldv the yellow subtitle are displayed in green. If haven't tested it since 2 firmware version but I think this issue is still there. (only in lldv mode)

5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The colour of PGS subtitles depends on the subtitle stream since it's graphical (effectively a video stream of overlay images). You can change the brightness and position but not the colour.

You can change the colour of SRT since they are generated by the SOC from a text file and the colours display correctly.

Stefano C likes this.
  6. Sledgehamma

The subtitles should be yellow but the Zidoo displays them as green when VS10 is enabled?

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Haven't seen that. I've seen SRT displayed with the wrong colours (eg yellow displayed as green) in an earlier firmware with LLDV (fixed now), but not PGS.

8. Mulyanto

Mulyanto New Member

Good review,
    How do you compare zidoo z9x vs popcorn hour A500 for 1080p movies, i'll waiting for review comparison. thanks

9. Sledgehamma

I don’t have that device anymore so I can’t directly compare them.
    That said, you can look at my review of the A-500 here:
    https://www.avsforum.com/threads/popcorn-hour-a-500-review.2530641/

The PCH should still have superior chroma upsampling, upscaling not sure. However, the Z9X is a lot faster and the jukebox is miles ahead. Not to mention that the GUI of the PCH is limited to 720p only whereas Z9X it’s 1080p.

10. Mulyanto

Mulyanto New Member

You mean PCH still better for color Chroma Subsampling than Z9X. Ok thank you for information .

11. Htoo Wai

Htoo Wai New Member

I have a Sony HDR10 TV and Z9X, which one is the best color setting and HDR setting?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  12. Sledgehamma