New firmware v1.2.4 for ZIDOO X9S release

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by mirror, Oct 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldBar

GoldBar Member

Hi guys, I need your help.
    Finally got today my x9s. The f/w installed is v1.2.3.
    Before starting anything I thought I'd flash it to v1.2.4
    so I downloaded the ZIDOO_X9S_OTA_v1.2.4.zip file but I can't find any install.img file.
    Where can I find this file?
    ...and after I flash the device - is there anything else I need to do with the ZIDOO_X9S_OTA_v1.2.4.zip file?

Thanks for your help !

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

There is a serious problem with the new support for DVD Menus:
    - Introduced with FW 1.2.4 Menu support. Before all DVD's played the mainmovie
    - About half of the DVD's (with Menu's that is) will remain stuck at the Menu. The item selection is shown by a highlight but it can't be moved or selected. In other words the cursor moves don't work and neither the OK button to get at least the movie started.

Effective the DVD support degraded with this release. Can provide examples, but the problem is common on many examples I tried from old to recent.
    Also missing are the options (like with BD) to select chapters and titles. Here these capabilities might have been a good workaround. Moving between Chapters (using the up down buttons on the remote) is always essential also with a correctly working Menu Support.

3. Nice Monkey

Just move the total ZIP to an USB drive, insert it and select UPDATE Local on the main menu.
    If you play DVD's you may like the current FW more.

4. GoldBar

GoldBar Member

Thank you.
    Upgraded the device to 1.2.4.
    First impression - build quality is great... quite impressed. Will start testing it properly over the next few days.
    So far I tried to play a few 4k files located on a HDD (connected through USB 3.0), all seem to play great, both through ZDMC and the Media Center.
    However, one MKV file (the Hateful Eight, 4K, x.264 30.3Mb/s @ 24.000fps, 8bit) didn't play well through ZDMC (not smooth...and stuttering) but played perfectly through the media center. I didn't change any of the default video settings.

5. Nice Monkey

Both use different players. Media center uses the Zidoo stock player and ZDMC uses the standard KODI player with only slight modifications to match HW specifics for audio passthrough etc.

6. Ricardolentjes

Ricardolentjes New Member

Hello zidoo

The Display Time Turn off Where can I find this ?????

7. kayama728

kayama728 Member Beta test group

Hi freeroc
    -Any prompt when the movie can't play happened?
    "cannot play this movie" only this

i've a file 'american history x' theater fetch american beauty, i chenge title and update but always american beauty was fetched

thx

8. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

Which language of system is in your box? Try to set to English.

9. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

You mean the LED display? Is it can't be lighten anyway?

10. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

No need to try that. We have confirmed this issue, and it will be fixed in the next version.Thanks for reporting.

11. kayama728

kayama728 Member Beta test group

thank you Freeroc
    i'm available to send log if you tell to me how to collect or to do test if you need
    also for nas volume issue

12. grummel2005

grummel2005 Well-Known Member

when "next version" will be on air or here to download?
    i am asking because the next one is the last firmware i will test, before i will give back my last zidoo and then this is the last device from zidoo

13. Nice Monkey

Maybe you should reconsider? I have seen many media players myself and I can tell this one is different. What would you use/buy instead?

The real difficult things to get right seem to be (almost fully) working here already: PQ and stability, 4K/HDR support, range of supported video formats, 3D-BD ISO, Auto frame-rate switching, HD and MCH audio FLAC, RAW Audio-out with Videos, Volume labels for HDD etc. Many still struggle like hell with these mostly complex features touching both HW and SW. The only area not fixed here is HDMI-CEC, but I have never seen a good implementation on any Android OS version yet from any brand.

Yes there are still a lot of things needing a fix but these all seem to be relative small and not HW/SOC capabilities related and therefore just requiring relative straightforward FW updates. I do understand that some flaws can become a real nuisance. Running into some myself (DVD Menu support e.g. now working half of the time only). A full review will follow soon, but will wait for the next FW as multiple flaws are promised to be fixed there.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  14. Ricardolentjes

Ricardolentjes New Member

Hello Freeroc
    i mean the display clock off and on setting

15. grummel2005

@Nice Monkey the "normal dayly work" is struggeling a lot. buffering videos, crashing zdmc, not sync videos are not acceptable - the other things i mentioned i have give up - there had been not even one comment on this or when comments then they said ... we will check it ... and when you ask later, they say ... never said this ... as in x6pro-area, but this one run much more stable in the beginning as the x9s ... i can tell you

maybe i will get a himedia q5 pro to test here - amazon is informed about the faults in the device and they gave me time until next firmware to check this one ... comments in amazon will follow then

16. stefan-ott

stefan-ott Member

looks like all the effort is going to the next non-working box... my comments in the x6pro thread are dying of being ignored... even i was told by zidoo that i would have life-long support ..
    pffff

17. grummel2005

which life @stefan-ott?
    yours or the boxes?
    hardware has only max 12 months life - after this no firmwareupdates are coming mostly
    did you could give back the box?

18. stefan-ott

stefan-ott Member

quote from zidoo's tommy
    "Of course if you have any question about the product,we will have life time Technical Support,but it can't return and refund for more than one year."
    -> in this case i think my life and not the boxe's lifetime ..
    basically.. the box is still alive in this sence .. just a cripple...

19. Nice Monkey

You may read my actualized practical review of Himedia Q10 Pro on the FUTEKO website. I like the HW much better but the FW-state is currently clearly behind X9S, this I can assure you. Specifically the most recent FW updates were very disappointing but a new big bang update (Android 7 based) should be on its way. Together they are the most promising players at the moment, but a lot of work needs to be done still for each. The good news is that both HW seems to be reasonable future proof, so these players may remain a bit longer be manufactured?

Your statement that supports ends when a new replacement/generation comes out is valid. Seen it from all media player vendors and for many other consumer products. We need to live with that and swap them regularly I am afraid. Don't like it myself but a fact of todays' economy.
    What manufacturers should do in my opinion is offering a substantial discount for existing customers when re-buying the next generation owning and End Of Support equivalent. In this case e.g. X9 owners should be offered a 20%-40% discount on purchasing an X9S. Registration by purchase plus serial numbers. Trading-in programs are too complex/expensive for cheap consumer goods probably.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  20. stefan-ott

stefan-ott Member

or just get the box refunded and get an nvidia shield tv ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.