Practical-experiences using the UHD3000

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Many thanks for all the details

2. Polypenko

Polypenko Active Member

Your welcome, just noticed in your signature that you are using Windows 7 Ultimate, I am using
    Windows 10, so not sure if the screens / procedure is the same for W7.

rgds.

3. Netmask

I'm currently building a new computer that will dual boot to Windows 10 and Linux.

4. Polypenko

Polypenko Active Member

Than you are okay.:)

5. Netmask

Thanks - all is working, just working my around the menu's and short and long press on the remote. I worked out how to do a screenshot and made a shortcut to the red button for that. Glad to know my 82 year old brain is still functioning ok!

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  6. cyber201

cyber201 Member

7. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

xskip likes this.
  8. cyber201

cyber201 Member

Ok. Thanks.
    But i have the above problem to execute the emergency restore.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  9. Nice Monkey

What is the problem?

10. cyber201

cyber201 Member

The system strat up without load the original firmware into the usb drive

11. Nice Monkey

You are following the PIN procedure as explained in detail? Holding it a few seconds is enough.

12. cyber201

cyber201 Member

Yes.
    this procedure only worked once. I will try again

Thanks

13. JamesYAOL

JamesYAOL New Member

Can I provide my experience and FAQ that a new owner may have?

1. Fan noise is loud
    A: Go setting to change it to low or off (If you believe you will replace it within 2 years, set it as off)
    2. There are so many weird issues!
    A: If you just turn it on, leave it there for at least 20 minutes. If you have 20T HD and many apps, do nothing for at least 1 hour. Suggestion: Do not turn it off. Its bluetooth remote works only when it is on. Again, if you are the believer that you will need new toy in 2 years, do not shut it down, reboot once a week. (Use a scheduler to reboot at midnight...) Use the setting -> Power on -> Turn it on.
    3. How to edit my favouist list?
    A: one by one only. It sucks. So, do not use :Add all to my favourist function.
    4. Hum noise on DAC / left speaker hum/static noise loudly / DAC doesnot work!
    A: Its DAC is full of flaw. I am still wondering if its DAC is part of HIFI or we need to invest HIFI preamp with powerful DAC module. But if we have to use DAC as we are told UHD3000 is HIFI thing... then here is the work around
    a. Hum noise on DAC output on volumn at 20db, it should disappear at -10db (say, use 40% or 30% of output of your AMP). It is acceptable from my point of view.
    b. Left speak noise on DAC: do not use it right after turn on. wait for 1 hour and use it. (use it == touch any app! Just turn it on and leave it alone.)
    c. DAC doesnot work: Set DAC to ON, volumn mid, sample to 192khz, exit setting, reboot it, wait for 20 minutes, try again on internal music player first. Usually it works now.
    5. DTS? 5.1? Watching movie just to find no dialogue.
    A: UHD3000 believes you are HIFIer and need no movie... here are work around. all works with a little of pain
    a. Use HDMI -> LPCM 2ch It behaves like TV, mix center into 2CH
    b. Use HDMI/Optiacal -> 5.1 receiver (Choose: Setting - hdmi - raw)
    c. Use HDMI/SPDIF -> DTS decoder or a pre-amp?, LR to your main AMP, center to a mono AMP, adjust the volumn balance ...
    d. Use USB audio output? I am learning it, anyone can suggest?
    e. open to suggest any new solutions... I only want 3.1 and it kills me already.
    6. Install Google store
    a. Search it, it requires to register the google device code.
    7. Scroll (page up/dn) function on many apps such as Internal Music player / Youtube / QQ Music / many apps
    a. Give up, man. Send the email to UHD3000 team to urge them improve the air mouse and cell mouse ... basically UHD3000 is for old school user.
    b. Any suggestion?

More to update... I just forgot how many headaches that I plan to own a HIFI media center with stream apps... Now it is just a music player and it works ... fine. :)

Dawciowski likes this.
  14. Nice Monkey

@JamesYAOL
    1. Fan noise is loud
    A: Go setting to change it to low or off (If you believe you will replace it within 2 years, set it as off)
    Works fine for me on AUTO: hardly ever goes to high even with 2x 3.5 inch HDD inserted which is fairly noisy then indeed. If you want no audible noise just put in 2x 2.5 inch HDD's.
    2. There are so many weird issues!
    A: If you just turn it on, leave it there for at least 20 minutes. If you have 20T HD and many apps, do nothing for at least 1 hour. Suggestion: Do not turn it off. Its bluetooth remote works only when it is on. Again, if you are the believer that you will need new toy in 2 years, do not shut it down, reboot once a week. (Use a scheduler to reboot at midnight...) Use the setting -> Power on -> Turn it on.
    No idea what you all talk about. I turn it on when needed only. Use it immediately then. Tried a factory reset to clean the box?
    3. How to edit my favorite list?
    A: one by one only. It sucks. So, do not use :Add all to my favorite function.
    Never use playlists and if done would use my PC for editing those. My zidoo is running as my SMB server with full access from my PC.
    4. Hum noise on DAC / left speaker hum/static noise loudly / DAC doesnot work!
    I would return my player with this flaw. Is NOT normal.
    A: Its DAC is full of flaw. I am still wondering if its DAC is part of HIFI or we need to invest HIFI preamp with powerful DAC module. But if we have to use DAC as we are told UHD3000 is HIFI thing... then here is the work around
    a. Hum noise on DAC output on volumn at 20db, it should disappear at -10db (say, use 40% or 30% of output of your AMP). It is acceptable from my point of view.
    I can confirm this: S/N ratio is it weakest point. No real problem in practice.
    b. Left speak noise on DAC: do not use it right after turn on. wait for 1 hour and use it. (use it == touch any app! Just turn it on and leave it alone.)
    Must be faulty as said before. It is NOT normal.
    c. DAC doesnot work: Set DAC to ON, volumn mid, sample to 192khz, exit setting, reboot it, wait for 20 minutes, try again on internal music player first. Usually it works now.
    ???? What is this. Never happened to me.
    5. DTS? 5.1? Watching movie just to find no dialogue.
    A: UHD3000 believes you are HIFIer and need no movie... here are work around. all works with a little of pain
    a. Use HDMI -> LPCM 2ch It behaves like TV, mix center into 2CH
    b. Use HDMI/Optiacal -> 5.1 receiver (Choose: Setting - hdmi - raw)
    c. Use HDMI/SPDIF -> DTS decoder or a pre-amp?, LR to your main AMP, center to a mono AMP, adjust the volumn balance ...
    d. Use USB audio output? I am learning it, anyone can suggest?
    e. open to suggest any new solutions... I only want 3.1 and it kills me already.
    I use HDMI RAW up to 7.1 output for movies and 2CH DAC output for music. Just toggle HDMI/DAC output (3-way switch). MCH HDMI versus LPCM 2CH DAC will be changed automatically for you. Fast and Easy switching. Obviously the AMP should be switched input ports too manually (makes it 2/3 presses needed in total). No booting needed for sure, but pausing playback is recommended. Using SPDIF you must be kidding that is what I call old school.
    6. Install Google store
    a. Search it, it requires to register the google device code.
    One time action and imposed by Google
    7. Scroll (page up/dn) function on many apps such as Internal Music player / Youtube / QQ Music / many apps
    a. Give up, man. Send the email to UHD3000 team to urge them improve the air mouse and cell mouse ... basically UHD3000 is for old school user.
    b. Any suggestion?
    The remote works fine for Zidoo APP's but for APP's made for Smart-phones you really need an additional pointer-mouse. Plenty of these to be found. The cursor mouse feature of the Zidoo remote is only a bypass for some one time actions.

More to update... I just forgot how many headaches that I plan to own a HIFI media center with stream apps... Now it is just a music player and it works ... fine. :)[/QUOTE]

Frankly I can't recognize or reproduce almost any of your problems.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  15. JamesYAOL

JamesYAOL New Member

@Nice Monkey
    Help! please show me how to toggle RAW HDMI vs LPCM 2CH DAC, many thanks... Under HDMI Audio, it is the only place I see option for RAW/LPCM 2CH/ Auto / Close (It is close when DAC is on) Under DAC, it contains Source In /filter Prop /DAC volume /XLR port
    I am wondering are we talking about same thing? I bought UHD3000 in March Shipped from China... It cannot be something else...

16. JamesYAOL

JamesYAOL New Member

Quote: Above all now that the switch became 3 way: HDMI Output, Internal Source DAC Output and External USB Source DAC output.
    Is it UHD3000? How come UHD3000 manual says USB is for audio input...
    Are we talking about same UHD3000?

17. Nice Monkey

The switch is 3 way: HDMI Output, Internal Source DAC Output and External USB Source DAC output. Indeed that is the only one you need to toggle. Assign it to a colored button on the remote for ease of operation. Use the included Colored Key Mapping APP for that. No need to go to setup then anymore to change modes.
    Using that assigned key then will pop-up a message showing the 3 position switch is in. Also the Icon on the Font display will show DAC for output (when internal or external USB DAC is selected).

UHD3000 also has an USB Slave port (different size and shape) which is for USB DAC Input from an external source. You don't need to use it. I tried that one using an Z9X as the source set to USB output which worked just fine too.

18. JamesYAOL

JamesYAOL New Member

Thanks NiceMonkey, it's very helpful. But do you know how to quickly switch between DAC RAW and DAC 2CH? Currently I have do the following:
    Turn DAC off, go setting change Audio HDMI setting from RAW to 2CH, turn DAC on. The reason I insist to use DAC RAW over DAC 2CH because I feel DAC Raw provides way better quality than DAC 2CH... But when watching movie, I have no choice but use DAC 2CH.
    Also, reading your guideline, maybe my english is poor, I always think you are talking about UHD3000 will do USB output. Acutally it is clearly stated that UHD3000 take USB audio INPUT(as audio source) only. UHD3000 can only output D:(HDMI/Optical/Coax) and A (DAC->RCA or XLR). Am I right? The slave USB (service port) is taking external source in and use UHD3000 DAC. If we agree UHD3000 DAC module is bad quality (I prove it by using HDMI to receiver and its quality is way better than DAC output to this same receiver...), I think I do not need to use USB external DAC device to get analog, instead, I can buy a good DAC device to link HDMI (I think of buying a 5.1 pre-amp, but apparently the price is not friendly in this solution.) I will read your solution again to find out if I can find the peace for both music(RAW, 2CH only) and movie(5.1 or LPCM2CH)
    Thanks, have a good weekend.

19. JamesYAOL

JamesYAOL New Member

by the way, return the player is not an option any more (ordering from Alibaba and ship from China), I have to live with it. Although there are many issues and apparently its DAC is not good as its advertised, I believe I will find a solution. The worst scenario is to use HDMI with a 5.1 receiver for movie only. And the music will be another task done by the devices from the local shop.
    I also recomment zidoo to any potential buyers that flagship is not necessary. As a TV box or media player, the better option will be z9x or even ealier version. TV box is a TV box, no need to carry way too much missions as UHD3000 planned.

20. Nice Monkey

I will check if I do hear a difference in sound DAC output quality with HDMI Output set to RAW with a 2CH Music source versus have it set to LPCM 2CH.
    I could image it is then run via a DSP function for down mixing which is then in fact unfunctional but degrading the signal/clocking accuracy?

The signal from RTD1619 SOC Internal Audio to the DAC in fact runs via an Internal simulated USB interface going to the XMOS processor next and finally from that one to the Sabre DAC. That is what is confusing you I think.

The easiest way to change HDMI Output between RAW/LPCM 2 Channel/Auto/Close is using the Zidoo Controller App => Quick Settings.

I think you really found something fuzzy here. The previous FW used to switch automatically between RAW and LPCM 2CH but it now with FW 6.2.0 toggles between RAW (with HDMI output) and Close (with Internal DAC selected). Changing Close to LPCM 2CH has no effect on sound or output. But changing to RAW/Auto always also turns OFF the DAC output automatically. So I can't make the combination Internal DAC with HDMI Audio RAW at all which you claim sounds better?

I really think your DAC is faulty as my UHD3000 DAC Analog output sounds better that using HDMI output having my AMP doing the conversion to analog.