Dolby Vision FEL Playback

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Er... no...

We have to be careful how we talk about the layers.

The base layer is the HDR10 or HDR10+ grade and nothing more, so this gives Profile 7 its backwards compatibility.

The enhancement layer has two options:

1. MEL - there is a mid-grey 1080p static field which is just a placeholder for compatibility with DV equipment - it contains no usable video information. Then there is the RPU (Reference Processing Unit) which contains the Dolby Vision Metadata. This is dynamic tone mapping information which is applied dependent on the performance of the connected display (defined in the EDID Dolby Block)

2. FEL - in this case there is the same RPU but the 1080p layer contains a video difference signal between the 12-bit Master (or Mezzanine - a compressed version of the master) and the 10-bit HDR10(+) grade.

So when talking about "EL" you have to be specific about whether you're talking about the RPU or in the case of FEL, the video essence, or both.

Very easily - you can see the RPU working with test videos.

The Zidoo now correctly processes the RPU for both FEL and MEL in MKV, ISO and BDMV containers.

Ok, the video essence of the FEL is not used (as is the case with the Dune and Shield) but in the real world that's no great loss.

vadergr, Sledgehamma and xskip like this.
  2. looun

looun Member

the tittle is "Dolby Vision FEL Playback" and declare "Zidoo devs have managed to get Dolby Vision FEL"

so...

3. Markswift2003

It's a minefield!!!

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Still confused but at a much higher level. :D

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  5. looun

looun Member

it's work because TV show DV logo? This is the Test? really?
    i want kwon how zidoo it's true about 100% DV mel/fel from profile 7 dual track/dual layer video content, with technical data.
    again...
    The tittle is "Dolby Vision FEL Playback" and declare "Zidoo devs have managed to get Dolby Vision FEL"

so, what's is true?

6. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

OK cutting through the debate - the big burning question is when will we see this puppy!!! We can then all judge for ourselves :)

xskip and Bello78 like this.
  7. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Eating is the real proof of the pudding. ;)

8. Markswift2003

There's the issue of BD menus to sort out - I think the idea is to disable DV playback for full menu playback for the time being until the devs can figure out why that happens.

I've not heard when it will be released yet though... soon ;)

blenky likes this.
  9. Markswift2003

Let me try again with big letters... you can see the RPU working with TEST VIDEOS.

To clarify, these are test videos that show both the RPU and the video essence of the FEL so you can see when either one or the other or both are present.

In the case of the Zidoo, the RPU can be seen working with these videos.

10. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

It is not a bigdeal, the main thing is the result that the zidoo team got about the FEL.

Personally I have DV iso and when the FW will be available I will use the direct reading while waiting that Zidoo solves this small problem of BDmenu.

Thanks for the information Mark,

11. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Try reading the complete first post! @Markswift2003 described already in detail what that means.

12. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

As this will be beta firmware I'm more than happy that DV playback for full menus is disabled while they work on it. I'm sure no one here would want it delayed because of that.

As long as we can direct play the movie in DV - I'm sure we are cool with plain old HDR10 for the extras!

Does the 76 minute freeze bug only apply to MKV?

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  13. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Blimey you're much quicker than me! It took me a few hours to get my mind round all this and as @Markswift2003 has already said, it's a minefield. You'll get the update before me judging on how things have gone in the past.

Good though eh?

14. Markswift2003

Good question - not tested, but I believe they're on that right now!

15. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Can't wait to test this. I have a number of full UHD rips - which are FEL. Some of these I have previously created DV remuxes using MakeMKV v1.15.4. As I understand it although these play in DV they are not utilising the RPU?

So as soon as I get the new beta I can do a comparison of some of the following.

1917 (FEL) + mkv
    Midsommar (FEL) + mkv
    Requium For a Dream (FEL) +mkv
    Schindlers List (FEL)
    Shutter Island (FEL) + mkv

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  16. looun

looun Member

this is the point we can't and also zidoo can't.

you need a SDK profile 7 or dolby workatation.

that's not prove nothing, only zidoo send DV flag into HDR metadata. Very easy developer, it's tag "<>" in xml data.

"dolby vision LLDV" is this a simple xml file, no more no less
    Code:
    <DolbyEDR>
    <AlgorithmVersions>2,1</AlgorithmVersions>
    <Characteristics level="0">
    <MasteringDisplay level="0">
    <ID>20</ID>
    <Name>1000-nit, P3, D65, ST.2084, Full</Name>
    <SignalRange>computer</SignalRange>
    <Encoding>PQ</Encoding>
    <ColorSpace>RGB</ColorSpace>
    <MinimumBrightness>0.0001</MinimumBrightness>
    <PeakBrightness>1000</PeakBrightness>
    <ColorModel>P3D65</ColorModel>
    <Primaries>
    <Red>0.68,0.32</Red>
    <Green>0.265,0.69</Green>
    <Blue>0.15,0.06</Blue>
    </Primaries>
    <WhitePoint>0.3127,0.329</WhitePoint>
    <DiagonalSize>42</DiagonalSize>
    <BitDepth>16</BitDepth>
    http://download.opencontent.netflix...llevante_lp_16b_hdr_p3d65pq_dolbyvision29.xml

dolby vision dual track dual layer profile 7 is a very different story.

17. Markswift2003

That's completely incorrect.

ammar11 and xskip like this.
  18. looun

looun Member

ok share dolby document that's explain.

or share MEL/FEL metadata file vs RPU metadata file, so we can see there are no difference.

or share dolby viosn debug file.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  19. Markswift2003

Unlikely :D

20. snapo6

snapo6 Member

Wonder why you are so keen to get that? Not all info can be shared openly, I would say just wait for the update and then judge.

xskip and Bello78 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.