Dolby Vision FEL Playback

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.K.uploaden

J.K.uploaden Member

#metoo

Downgrading ISOs to MKVs is a pain in the ass.

2. J.K.uploaden

J.K.uploaden Member

Even more important: Zidoo should finally fix the still not working frame rate switch for 4K ISOs, and the still not working 3D ISOs.

3. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Ok for the slow ones here (i.e. me!) does this mean that the incoming firmware will play back untouched 4K bluray rips in DV - whether FEL or MEL without the need to convert?

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

In a word yes, no conversion needed - there's an issue with the menus to be fixed yet, but certainly if you choose "Play Video" then FEL and MEL ISO and BDMV rips will currently play the main movie in Dolby Vision.

3DBuff, xskip, leonkoum and 1 other person like this.
  5. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Wow - that is VERY impressive to say the least. The holy grail of DV playback. Fantastic work by all involved. Also you say we are likely to see a public beta this week? Blimey its Thursday tomorrow so should be any day! Happy days.

6. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Remuxing is not a downgrade or a conversion (except when talking about converting the DV layers).

7. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Both ISO and MKV's are containers so no "downgrading" involved simply remuxing to a different container

8. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

Very nice and much appreciated
    Specially since id asked for just that ,ages ago when we first had the suggestion thread, and everyone said impossible

Whats the thing to set so Quick settings/Display/HDR stays at which ever setting you choose
    Lost it when we got .15 F/w and its a pain going in and having to reset it 5 10 times a day
    (ie i watch most SDR in HDR10 setting)
    Thought id ask here since got no reply on the current issues thread :p

9. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

OHH im guessing your alpha testing the next f/w mark
    Does playing DV direct from iso have any effect on the Titles we know have the 77 min freeze issue ?
    Just in case youd tested it

10. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

You miss that....just wait!!

11. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Making an MKV is a downgrade/strip for sure. ISO's are the real thing and a Full Disc image of the original BD with Menu's and all extra's present. When burned one gets the original back again.

The MKV/MP4/AVI is a remux to a container of the main movie (single version) only and for UHD/HDR will be DV or HDR10(+) but never both. A MKV can be a lossless remux but mostly is found compressed.

I only use 1:1 copies being ISO or full folder if available. The last only for a onetime viewing, if stored it is in ISO format always.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    3DBuff likes this.
  12. looun

looun Member

How can Zidoo sure at 100%?

"The 1619DR SDK does not support EL" , that's was comfomted from onather player developer.

Zidoo have profile 7 SDK licenced by dolby?

so, how can zidoo do it? ...no SDK, no party

Dolby vision is propretary CLOSED format,not open source public standard.

13. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Please read the first post. The EL is not being utilized, “only” the RPU (dynamic metadata).

14. looun

looun Member

this is the point.. "have managed FEL" than “only” the RPU (Reference Processing Unit - which handles dynamic tone mapping) .

it's FHD bt.709 refecence information insede DV for dynamic tone mapping for SDR display?.. that's not HDR

so again: not support EL ,no true DV ...no SDK no Party.

15. Nice Monkey

What is true DV? Dolby Laboratories made a mess out of DV with a slew of implementations with variants for again each of those.
    TV's do with those as they like without telling customers. What final counts is the effect on actual Picture Quality and nothing else.

Will have a peek at the implementation and practical PQ results prior to having a final judgement on it:
    - DV MEL/FEL original BD's better than standard HDR10?
    - How does PQ compare with OPPO used as a reference?

My personal experiences thus far are that variations are very minimal between the DV/HDR10+ implementations. The HDR PQ variations between TV brands and models is far bigger!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  16. looun

looun Member

What is DV without EL ?

17. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

MEL

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  18. Markswift2003

Still no idea why it would lose HDR settings - the simple answer is, it shouldn't, and in fact if the EDID stays the same, I'd go as far as to say it can't! (I'm not doubting you buy the way, but there must be something else going on).

The only time I've seen Display settings go awry is with BD menus crashing at 2K60 with the GUI set to 4K23 and the GUI remains at 4K60 and Display/HDMI mode becomes null - ie not selected.

19. Markswift2003

Not true at all.

The base layer is the base layer regardless of whether it has HDR10 SEI and/or HDR10+ infoframes so a DV MKV has to have HDR10 or HDR10+ as well by definition - if you just use MakeMKV to rip the movie only, DV or not, you lose absolutely no information at all.

ammar11 and xskip like this.
  20. Nice Monkey

Thanks for that correction for the HDR part. Learned again something from you. This HDR stuff is too complicated for me indeed. :oops:

Still won't go for MKV. :rolleyes:
    Anxious to see the new implementation without the need for conversion. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.