Beta version v6.1.10 for Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mirror, Mar 17, 2021.

1. robertd

robertd New Member

Ok, thanks. That may very well be the case. Like the Panasonic UHD players.

I was thinking that the VS10 engine would have a provision for being used on a 4K non-HDR display. Perhaps it would just drop back to 1080p SDR. I don't have one to try. I thought they existed in the early days of 4K though. All 4K displays these days appear to be HDR ready.

2. RIKO14

RIKO14 New Member

Hello,
    Where to find the last version V6.1.10 G and not G for the Z10Pro?

3. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Not officialy released yet .

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

That's what VS10 does - it outputs all content (SDR, HDR and DV) in the best format available by the display - so if the display is 4K SDR, VS10 produces 4K SDR.

SDR.2020 is something Panasonic came up with a few years for displays that were able to select the BT.2020 colour space whilst in SDR (projectors mostly), but it's not part of the HDMI standard and although you can specify an EDID with BT.2020 but without HDR, the source will always revert to Rec.709 in that case unless it has a specific SDR.2020mode.

The Zidoo can do this through the Realtek engine of course, and it's very effective - it has none of the colour issue that the standard Realtek HDR to SDR conversion has.

5. cappy1

cappy1 Member

Mark:
    I assume that “Auto” is still the best setting when outputting into a Lumagen Radiance Pro that does its own tone mapping. Is this correct?

6. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

It is now but v6.1.15 for all models

7. Markswift2003

Yes indeed - no changes needed.

cappy1 likes this.
  8. robertd

robertd New Member

Yes, I was aware that VS10 was supposed to output the best the display was capable of. That's what I was trying to achieve with the Integral 2 and a 4K EDID, but with a standard gamma curve, not a HDR one. In saying that, I thought I had a 4K SDR EDID working with the Integral 2, but the VS10 engine wasn't even offered as an option to select, only the Realtek option. That's where my confusion lies and the reason I was asking for the 4K SDR P3 and 2020 EDIDs for the Z9X; to see if the VS10 option would available. The wider colorspace would be welcome too, of course. Now knowing that those EDIDs won't provide VS10 with wide color, I guess they should give VS10 with 4K Rec. 709? Am I understanding this correctly?

Even if I could get 4K SDR (with Rec. 709 to be clear), I'd still like to check it out for the VS10 tonemapping and compare it to LLDV. I'm far from an expert with an HDfury though, I've only had it for a couple of weeks. I'll have to play with it again this weekend.

I haven't actually upgraded my Z9X to the v6.1.10 firmware yet. Does it have a 4K SDR EDID already included or is it all geared towards LLDV? Could one be uploaded to it? I might have an easier time just using the Z9X for EDID use.

Note: Just saw that there is a v6.1.15 firmware out.

9. Miguel Ramos

Miguel Ramos Active Member

What is the best setting for an 4K HDR projector (no Dolby Vision) to get a "Tone Mapping" feature?

10. maglione

maglione Member

Last firmware brought back an old bug with the DTS-HD in full bluray menu detects only DTS, without menu it works fine.

11. Markswift2003

I assume when you say "VS10 engine wasn't even offered" you mean just the single "Dolby VS10 Engine" and not the addition "Dolby VS10 Engine (for *** content)" because if all that's missing there'd be something wholly weird going on!!

The only situation where "Dolby VS10 Engine" does not appear as a separate option is when you have an EDID containing an LLDV only Dolby Block. In that case "Dolby VS10 Engine" would be the same as "Dolby Vision Low Latency (....)" and so is omitted.

Here are a couple of EDIDs to try, but from what you've said - ie, you don't want to use HDR gamma, then "SDR Rec.2020 Limited" might be your best option - doesn't use VS10 but as has been said many times, VS10 in HDR or SDR is borked at the moment - the levels (and black clip in the case of SDR) are all wrong. You can fool it a bit by changing the HDMI range but that doesn't really fix it, it raises the black floor but kills clipping, so crushing black.

(Note that the since specifying DCI-P3 in an EDID only came into being in CTA-861-G, this is an HDMI 2.1 EDID)

600MHz BT.2020 SDR: https://mega.nz/file/9LYk0JrC#fYaTfJUyXs0Gs6vd1kG_dU95VfPe9BQz6t5CeUePoec

600MHz Rec.709 SDR: https://mega.nz/file/hfAEUBaQ#523dTeN-tmgPg99aF2uBND89boy_P6VBfnQOH4SMEPw

600MHz DCI-P3 SDR: https://mega.nz/file/hfAEUBaQ#523dTeN-tmgPg99aF2uBND89boy_P6VBfnQOH4SMEPw

12. Markswift2003

If your projector makes a decent go of HDR and resyncs aren't a problem, then "Auto" is the way to go.

Miguel Ramos likes this.
  13. Miguel Ramos

It's the Epson TW9400! Has a great HDR image, but it does not do tone mapping.

14. Markswift2003

If it does HDR then by definition, it tone maps.

15. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

He probably meant dynamic tone mapping. LG C9 has that option for HDR10 content.

Miguel Ramos and Markswift2003 like this.
  16. Miguel Ramos

That's exactly what I meant. Something like some UHD bluray players and JVC projectors have for HDR content (to simulate what HDR+ and DV do with the metadata).

17. Markswift2003

I'm not aware of any UHD BluRay players doing DTM - the new JVC projectors, Lumagen Radiance Pro and MadVR Envy are the big hitters for that, and of course the original MadVR on a PC.

18. Miguel Ramos

I believe that Panasonic dp-ub9000 has it.

19. Markswift2003

That has their "HDR Optimiser" which basically adjusts the gamma roll off the gamma curve, but it's still static tone mapping.

Miguel Ramos likes this.
  20. Miguel Ramos

Understood! Thanks for the update. Should I select any of the Dolby VS Engine of the Zidoo or just leave it in auto?