Practical-experiences using the UHD3000

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I am going to give that fan a try. Just wait a week and will report here.

The noise problem is limited with UHD3000 anyhow as I have never experienced it running on High (set to Auto).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  2. Nice Monkey

Thanks for explaining this one. This is the modified "Sampling rate control" option then! :) It got a dual function now: Enabling HD tracks passing natively or up-sampling to the specified rate. All gapless and re-sampling to a fixed rate with mixed tracks in the playlist.

Personally I turn such a feature off setting it to "Native sampling rate". Gapless playback for the same codec type and rate is more that adequate for most I think. It is really useful for full album playback which are always uniform.

UHD3000/Z9X playback via HDMI used to be very stable but definitely isn't anymore with the latest FW. Maybe it is gapless related?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  3. MsieurSeb

MsieurSeb Member

Hello, How does the images for the Music Player - Zidoo UHD3000 ?

-Artists:
    --------Album:
    ---------------------folder.jpg

discart?
    fanart ?
    artist?

Thx

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  4. Nice Monkey

MP6 does (currently) not look at the album structure / naming and ignores folder.jpg /cover.jpg files. It uses its own scraping results instead.
    It neither looks at MP3/FLAC tags. Embedded covers seem to be displayed.

5. MsieurSeb

MsieurSeb Member

Thank you for your answer. MP6 uses the image "folder.jpg". I just made a test by modifying the image.
    Option > Scan > Matching settings > Only use local data || Priority local image > On

6. Nice Monkey

Checked: I must contradict you here. It does not handle folder.jpg files for me. Just embedded covers.

Maybe you play from the database (after being scraped) which I never do. I just use media center to select my albums.
    As a test scanned that album and indeed it is then displayed. If I next play the album via Media Center it will still be found indeed. Applies also for lyrics which I did not include myself!

7. Nice Monkey

@mirror
    Got it: This is the modified "Sampling rate control" option then! :) It got a dual function now: Enabling HD tracks passing gapless natively or up-sampling gapless to a specified rate with mixed rate tracks in the playlist allowed. It is not really intuitive in my perception. ;)

When set to "Native sampling rate" I do get severe distortions instead of an untouched sound playing HD tracks! :mad:

Added it to the review too.

8. MsieurSeb

MsieurSeb Member

I was only talking about the front cover. What else can the "folder.jpg" do? Sorry, I am a beginner.

On the other hand, MP6 does not manage the multiple artists in the tags?

Thx

9. Nice Monkey

If you add a new folder without adding it to the database and play it using Media Center then folder.jpg won't be shown.

MP6 does not read MP3/FLAC tags for artist, album and track info.

10. MsieurSeb

MsieurSeb Member

Next update ?

11. Nice Monkey

Got the new fan. :)

Was a bit of work as the screws and rubber mounts are bigger (holes must be drilled 5mm) and the connector obviously does not fit (PC header type), leads must be cut and soldered next. It could not miss also the colors of the wires are different. There seem to be 2 standards for these fans but these were quickly found by doing a web search. It is not a simple plug&play replacement but it straight worked as it should after swapping.

The result: It is marginally quieter only. No I don't recommend going for it as I don't regard the costs/efforts worthwhile. The real problem is the size of the fan as these very small fan's are always noisy (5000 rpm max). ;)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    gymnos likes this.
  12. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

so you lost your warranty ??? in such expensive and new equipment ...

13. Nice Monkey

You only realize how nice the HW build is after opening the box. I think having a HW problem Zidoo will still help me being well known there. ;)

But in general you are right. I always wait about a month before doing these case-mods. The chance getting a HW fault after 1 month is relative small. Day Zero (Dead-On-Arrival) and burn-in period faults are far more common HW problems. Overheating PSU's and other components are known to fail after a couple of years; typically after warranty. I don't feel this design has any component heating problems.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  14. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

I admire you more for your courage, I would not dare risk a guarantee for replacing the fan for pennies ;)

15. MsieurSeb

MsieurSeb Member

Hello @Nice Monkey

Have you noticed that if you turn off the Zidoo with the internal DAC activated, when restarting, it restarts with the internal DAC activated but it no longer works. I have to turn off the internal DAC and turn off the Zidoo, then restart it and turn the internal DAC back on and everything works again.

Thx

16. Nice Monkey

I have problems getting a TV image again when turning back on. Toggling standby on that one does the trick (which is a sleep mode). But once having that the DAC remains activated. Don't need to turn the DAC on/off.

Using Zidoo Controller (which I do for music using the Internal DAC) I can turn the player off and back on (using Boot) and next just play again music via the Internal DAC. No need to use the TV or the Remote Control.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  17. MsieurSeb

MsieurSeb Member

I also have the internal DAC activated, but no sound on my Onkyo 646.

18. Nice Monkey

Use an Onkyo TX-RZ710 myself. The port selected on the AMP does not change.
    I am using a HDMI-CEC blocker with my Zidoo. No idea if that has impact?

19. MsieurSeb

MsieurSeb Member

No, the port of the AMP does not change. I am still on "CD" in RCA cable.

Question off topic, you listen in which mode in RCA with the internal DAC activated? Pure audio?!

20. Nice Monkey

Also using "CD" assigned to an RCA analog input. :)

I use Direct mode. This is the same as Pure Audio without turning the video processing off. That may have impact as also the TV output is shut off with Pure Audio.
    Never was able to hear any audio difference between these 2 modes myself. :D

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021