Audio "challenges" z1000 pro FW 6.1.05

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by CGI, Feb 4, 2021.

1. CGI

CGI Member

Hi All,

I just want to enumerate/share some problems met with audio play back:
    1. MP gurgles/stutters with 24/192/HDMI - [24-192] Diana Krall - Wallflower (2014) - not listenable
    - HiBy does not - plays it flawlessly
    2. SACD/DSD in MP is still shown on 176 KB - not sure if this is only representation or real conversion
    - HiBy shows the right info
    3 . Nothing improved/changed in USB audio - MP still does not detect any of my 3 ext. DACs
    - HiBy does and plays
    4. Switching to SPDIF - produces no sound

Baseline - I use z1000 pro mainly as transport/source for music play/collections;
    Either through z1000 pro->denon 3600 HDMI or z1000 pro->ext. DAC(s)->Denon or Pioneer analog in.

Please advise.

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

@CGI
    Hi All,

I just want to enumerate/share some problems met with audio play back:
    1. MP gurgles/stutters with 24/192/HDMI - [24-192] Diana Krall - Wallflower (2014) - not listenable
    - HiBy does not - plays it flawlessly
    Don't have that album. You may send it to me via PM. Will test then.
    Is that the only album giving troubles? Played many without any problems.

Tried a 24-48 version of that same album and that played via HDMI and DAC. Tried also several other 24-192 albums which all just played fine too.

2. SACD/DSD in MP is still shown on 176 KB - not sure if this is only representation or real conversion
    - HiBy shows the right info
    SACD in any format is always converted to PCM. No native DSD via HDMI (only via UHD3000 DAC). Maybe DSD via HDMI will come?
    3 . Nothing improved/changed in USB audio - MP still does not detect any of my 3 ext. DACs
    - HiBy does and plays
    Does not surprise me at all. There ar many different USB DAC's and variables just take a look how UAPP implemented USB support. UAPP will work too and I like it even better than Hiby.
    4. Switching to S/PDIF - produces no sound
    That should just work. Is it turned on in Audio Settings and set to RAW or 2CH PCM?

Baseline - I use z1000 pro mainly as transport/source for music play/collections;
    Either through z1000 pro->denon 3600 HDMI or z1000 pro->ext. DAC(s)->Denon or Pioneer analog in.
    Used to do the same but moved to UHD3000 with excellent DAC sound and very easy to use and change HDMI MCH <=> DAC 2CH output modes.

Please advise.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  3. CGI

CGI Member

Hi Nice Monkey,
    Thank You for your answers! And sorry for delayed coming back.
    - did not know that SACD is always converted to PCM - let's hope DSD via HDMI will come :)
    - SDPIF out - my bad - wrong input assign on the AVR - works now
    - gurgling - tried several albums - problem 80% present, not only on the pointed above one. PM-ing you another song (as the above mentioned is one flac album - 1.8 GB). Will appreciated if you test it in your configuration, as it may be an AVR problem, though the AVR is relatively new Denon 3600. But it gurgles in COAX as well.

4. Nice Monkey

That gurgling problem is very strange. Never had a single FLAC producing such sounds.

5. Nice Monkey

Got your PM with the file. Yeah I hear it too. Tried my OPPO no problem but also no problem playing it with DAC Output using Zidoo MP6.

Is it initiated with a recent FW? Could have been initiated with gapless playback? New driver?

6. CGI

CGI Member

Thank you for testing it.
    Yes, latest FW 6.1.05. No new drivers installed. I observe this problem only with MP6 via HDMI and SPDIF.
    Still cannot make MP6 reconize any of DACs I have, and gave up trying. I use hiby for USB->DAC playing.
    So did not try MP6 ->USB DAC
    All other players - hiby, ZDMC play flawless through all interfaces incl. HDMI and SPDIF.

7. Nice Monkey

Connected my Amanero based USB DIY-kit DAC to my Z9X and that was now recognized playing both HD PCM and DoP/Native DSD flawless. :)
    When connecting it reports nicely the brand found and the PCM formats (not DSD) supported by it. USB Output (On/Off) and DSD modes (D2P/Dop/Native) can be changed without needing a reboot or removing the DAC.

I understand it is picky which DAC's are recognized. Seen the many updates products like USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) did to get most working that is not to be assumed as common.
    I think it is pretty safe to presume all XMOS and Amanero based USB DAC's will work?
    DoP typically is supported more widely than Native DSD, but both work with my unit. ;)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  8. Nice Monkey

I am hearing it now also with other albums occasionally. Restarting the player helps. Must be a task eating resources.
    See this with Z9X and UHD3000. Not good. :mad:

9. CGI

CGI Member

Update:
    - My 2 years old DAC (ES9038Q2M x 2 and xCORE-200 XMOS) is recognized and plays everything OK in MP6, even in native DSD - screenshot(s)
    - My relatively new DAC (AK4497 and 2nd XMOS solution - u30870c10) - not recognized - screenshot

Attached Files: