ZIDOO UHD 3000

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Emergency ROM flash images are available for all models and contain a copy of the original factory FW version.

2. MsieurSeb

MsieurSeb Member

Hello, Is it possible to install Jdownloader on the Zidoo UHD3000 or others ? Thank you

3. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

There is no JDownloader for Android available.

4. Nice Monkey

Any experiences with MQA? Does it sound better using HW decoding?

5. ThomasN

ThomasN New Member

I have tested a little back and forth with MQA ond and off from Tidal. There is an small improvement with HW decode.

But my Auralic Vega G2 DAC still sounds way better in my ears, even if it's a non MQA DAC.

The setup is: Accuphase E-800, MBL 116F, Auralic Vega G2, Panasonic DP-UB9000, Zidoo UHD-3000 and a Sony KD85XH9505

But what is a fact is that the UHD-3000 sounds so much better from the digital output than the X20 Pro did. And the picture quality is really good.

6. Nice Monkey

It would be a shame if the Auralic Vega G2 DAC would not sound any better at a 10x price. I understand the difference is most for MQA, minor for DSD and minimal for PCM?

When I get my unit will be able to compare it with a similar expensive Naim DAC/PSU setup.
    Will test with PCM, DSD and MQA using both in A/B switching on my friends high end Naim setup.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    ThomasN likes this.
  7. ThomasN

ThomasN New Member

I totally agree with you, and it's not a fair "fight" But I think the UHD-3000 sounds really good within it's price range. So it's quite a bonus getting a DAC of this quality on a machine like this.

Since it's only MQA that you can choose to eiter software decode or HW decode from eg. Tidal that is mostly the case. But there is so many crappy MQA albums out there, SQ vise, so it's more of mess than a sign of quality.

What I miss on the UHD-3000 is seing the sample rate of the MQA decode and the bit dept. You are just left in the dark here.

8. Nice Monkey

You could run another APP with MQA like USB Audio Player PRO and feed USB output of that with an USB2 cable back into the UHD3000 USB-IN port.
    The HW should support this but if it is enabled with current settings? For sure will try this myself.
    If necessary always can run UAPP on my Z9X or any other media player as I have plenty of those.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  9. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Hello,

While waiting for the review of Nice Monkey on the UHD3000, are there any reviews available on the net ?

10. Nice Monkey

Watched a DD True HD 7.1 movie and DAC sound keeps working just fine with that one.
    So only DTS or some specific DTS types have this problem? Using Video playback Without Menu. Occasionally that makes a difference too. I am always using RCA as I don't have XLR on my AMP. Can't image XLR and RCA are different as these should be hard coupled via analog circuitry.

Regarding MQA MP6 playback using DAC output: this is actually reporting the MQA sampling-rate correctly just the sample size is missing just as with all other formats.
    MQA Provenance (Blue= MQA studio, Green= MQA) is labeled correctly.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  11. Nice Monkey

By the way I can confirm the sound is indeed very good as the first impression.:cool:
    And oh boy they really read my UHD2000 review it seems. Above all the red! :p

Looking at the box it seems to be close to the previous generation UHD2000 which in fact it is absolutely not. Everything is new with UHD3000 apart from the physical outside looks. ;)

Specific UHD3000 related questions are very welcome and will be answered here by me prior to the coming review. That review will take a while for testing and writing it all up.
    To answer already a very common question "Should I consider upgrading from my X20 Pro or UHD2000?":
    - The answer is very easy for X20 Pro "If you can effort doing so you should for sure!"
    - For UHD2000 it depends on what your total setup looks like. If you are really an audiophile having a fancy setup then don't hesitate and go for the UHD3000 as it is again a major step in DAC/PSU quality at a bargain price. Having a more modest budget and setup for AMP plus speakers then it is debatable and you are encouraged to wait for the reviews (mine and from others) for a better orientation if it is worth the spending.

If you can try to get a live listening experience!

gymnos likes this.
  12. ThomasN

ThomasN New Member

I have the same problem with the DAC for all audio formats when using the video player. It can be a 2.0 Flac, 2.0 DD, 5.1 DD 7.1True HD, 7.1 DTS Master, really does no difference.

I have also noticed something strange with the digital outputs. If i set the DAC to internal player the output volume is concidered normal. If I then change to USB in or Turn off DAC the spdif is about half the output volume.

So I must say that this player does not give me a feeling of high quality. Hopefully it's something that could be solved via firmware... But starting to think the unit is faulty.

Btw. I have set the DAC volume to 0db, it was -10 by default, so will try to set it to -10 and see if that makes a difference.

Tried, and the same thing happened. Also tried RCA and it's just the same.

13. Nice Monkey

Will watch another movie using DAC output this evening. I am sure it never happens with Music Player as I used that for a full day.

The fan was not replaced as this one is as noisy as the one used with UHD2000. :(
    Cooling is a lot more effective though now being placed centrally on the bottom plate. So the fan typically runs on a lower speed. :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    gymnos likes this.
  14. ThomasN

ThomasN New Member

I only have this issue with the video player.

And the strange behavior on low volume output for the spdif output if DAC is turned off or set to USB in.

The HDMI behavior is normal.

15. Nice Monkey

Never use SPDIF myself. Strange symptoms.

16. ThomasN

ThomasN New Member

Since I run a High End 2 channel stereo setup that is the way to do it. There are no way to use the HDMI in my case without going via the TV on the output.

And my external DAC is way better than the zidoo, but I want it to work correctly anyway.

But hopefully this is a faulty unit. If not they are really putting an unfinished product out to the market.

17. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Thanks for your feedback.

I asked the question on the HD.club.tw forum and I got my answer

18. Nice Monkey

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  19. ThomasN

ThomasN New Member

I have been trying a lot of things, and the more things I try the more strange things seems to be discovered. Mostly they are all connected to sound.
    Since I have firmware 6.0.92 there might be differences there also. I guess that you are testing with 6.0.90?

20. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

.....ok, that is good. But WERE??