Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

I'd recommend to use NTFS.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I think you mean what type of hard drive rather than how to format it?

If that's the case I'd always recommend network attached storage (NAS) rather than connecting by USB or SATA - far easier to add more drives and a lot more flexible.

3. buggy

buggy New Member

Mark, I also saw on the MakeMKV forums that people mentioned there are no players currently that can play FEL DV titles. Do you think it would ever be possible at a later time with a firmware update on the Z9X or is it an hardware limitation?

4. Markswift2003

Licensing and Dolby components aside, in the first instance it's a hardware limitation - to play FEL titles the player needs two HEVC decoders to feed the Dolby Vision Composer in the display which would combine the Base Layer, RPU and the Enhancement Layer so it won't be possible through firmware I'm afraid.

xskip likes this.
  5. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Hi @Markswift2003 , sorry a little off topic but related. I've read about gamma a long time ago, not really fully understood it but I think I got the idea. My takeaway was that even though movies are mastered at 2.2, most calibrators recommend 2.4 especially in a dark room. And I also like the look.

Since I got into HDR with my LG C9, it got me thinking about it again. There's also a new standard BT.1886 but I can't get the black level right so I stick with 2.4 for SDR mode.

But what I'm curious, with HDR10 and Dolby Vision modes the TV defaults to 2.2 and it doesn't allow me to change it (greyed-out). Why is it so, does this mean I should set the SDR mode to 2.2 instead?

If you don't mind, what is you opinion on this?

PS: I've not done any professional calibration, just doing amateur tweaks with test patterns.

gymnos likes this.
  6. Markswift2003

Gamma is basically the relationship between input and output luminance - more correctly, it's an EOTF (Electro Optical Transfer Function).

It was originally devised to compensate for shortcomings in CRT displays but is now used generally in two flavours - Power Gamma for SDR defined by BT.1886 (that's where the 2.2, 2.4 thing comes from) and PQ Gamma (Perceptual Quantiser) for HDR (defined by ST.2084), which is supposed to replicate the way our eyes see colours.

It gets more complicated with HDR since most displays can't hit the levels required so the gamma is rolled off which effectively compresses the upper luminance values into a much smaller range leaving the lower levels (up to diffuse white) intact...

Anyway - 2.2 is the "standard" gamma setting for Rec.709 SDR but you can calibrate to 2.4 if you want - it'll just be a bit darker.

The reason you can't change the value in HDR modes is because PQ gamma is an absolute value and not relative like power gamma so the display's performance defines the gamma curve.

Bet you wish you hadn't asked now ;)

7. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Hi, just to add to this BT.1886 isn't needed for oled as you can good detail in low level ire with a flat gamma target.
    If you want to try it you can experiment and if you have calman you can set the roll off point in HDR modes, I have a custom curve which I believe allows for more detail in mid - high tones ( before the set hard clips.)

ammar11 likes this.
  8. Boris 1956

Boris 1956 Member

OLED TV LG OLED55C9PLA.AEU, Smart --- 14.02.2020
    AV RECEIVER DENON AVR-X1300W
    Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu ray player
    Zidoo Z1000 Pro Media Player
    this is my equipment i have connected like this
    Zidoo Z1000 Pro Media Player to AV RECEIVER DENON AVR-X1300W
    Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu ray player to AV RECEIVER DENON AVR-X1300W
    AV RECEIVER DENON AVR-X1300W to OLED TV LG OLED55C9PLA.AEU
    and now when I start Zidoo Z1000 through the amplifier on the ice for a moment means 3sec this message appears attached please help how to solve this immediately to say that I followed the instructions from the picture went to setings and hdmi arc on and off this appears again NO SIGLAL hoping you will help me lp Boris

Attached Files:

9. Markswift2003

The first thing I'd try is to plug the Zidoo directly into the TV and check the settings.

Boris 1956 likes this.
  10. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

Hi,

can zidoo team add “ keep original title option on home theatre” ( kodi has this option)

because movie title scans and save gui language.

sorry I write here but I cant found related topic.

11. shasurf

shasurf New Member

Hello everyone, how can I put my photos on my hard drive into the screensaver?

12. Markswift2003

Easiest way is to copy them into \\Storage\zddaydream

13. Sam135

Sam135 New Member

Hi Mark - excuse my really dumb question but if you have a dolby vision MKV (FEL) file will that file always have a HDR10+ layer or does it default to HDR10 only? I'm keen to buy the x10 pro but really want full DV support for FEL files as well (even if they default to HDR10+).

Also - does anyone know how you convert a DV FEL MKV file to AVCHD to play on an Oppo 203?

XiziX likes this.
  14. Markswift2003

Some titles will have a HDR10 base layer, some will be HDR10+.

When a project is mastered for Dolby Vision that process includes down conversion for both HDR and SDR deliverables. HDR10+ can also be delivered but requires extra processing so it depends on budget.

15. Boris 1956

Boris 1956 Member

I plugged Zidoo directly into the TV and nothing happened I played with the settings and it still shows this but now it doesn't send me to arc hdmi

Attached Files:

16. Boris 1956

Boris 1956 Member

Hi Mark something else to ask I have three movies in Dv but I don't know if they are Mel or something else Zido I set HDR --Auto and the screen shows me HDR when the movie goes how to know if it is shown in Dolby Vision attached movie titles

Attached Files:

17. Markswift2003

If you press the "resolution" button on the remote that should cycle resolutions as dictated by your TV's EDID.

Keep pressing it with say a 5 second gap to allow the TV to resync until you get a resolution/refresh rate that works and then reset your settings.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  18. Markswift2003

If they're MP4 files and Profile 7 then they're not supported by the Zidoo for Dolby Vision and you would only see the HDR10(+) base layer.

For Dolby playback of Profile 7 the files need to be correctly encoded into an MKV container (and MEL)

For MKVs you can check whether they're FEL or MEL using MakeMKV. Unfortunately MediaInfo doesn't show that information (not sure why).

Salohi and rozel like this.
  19. Boris 1956

Boris 1956 Member

and then reset the settings on Zidoo or tv?

20. Hello
    I have a doubt, my z1000pro player does not come with a google play or netflix version, at the time I was able to test a z10 pro and it came with these two built-in apps.
    How could I incorporate them?
    thanks greetings