Z10 PRO v OPPO 203 Comparison Picture Wise

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Jan 12, 2021.

1. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Has anyone compared picture wise the New Z series to a Oppo 203 as in Picture wise and how close or better is the new ZPro series .
    In your own opinion .

Thanks

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I have both a Z9X and an OPPO UDP-203 original UHD BD player connected to a just HDR10 capable OLED Philips TV. The Zidoo Z9X is connected to an external Linear PSU rated 12V 5A.
    The picture produced on that TV with both players is really excellent with marginal PQ differences trying the various options on both for BD and UHD/HDR10 movies.
    This is also valid for Pioneer UDP-LX500/LX800 players which I had a brief live peep at too.

Viewing UHD/HDR10 & DV movies the OPPO obviously is unique as seen on a friends Panasonic TV. PQ looks slightly better then with DV (=default). The difference between HDR10+ and DV is minimal and hard to judge on that same new Panasonic high-end OLED TV. For testing HDR10+ that output mode needs to be forced via setup.

Seen the many additional features above all for subtitles I use my Zidoo by preference for movies.

Use that OPPO instead for playing HiFi Music above all in Multi Channel. I hope Zidoo will catch up on that sooner or later. A Zidoo UHD3000 potentially comes very close to an OPPO-UDP-205 for 2CH music specifically. MCH PCM/DSD-DoP via HDMI is still wait and hear when facilitated by Zidoo.

Is it worth to get a new UHD TV with DV having one with HDR10 for improving the PQ is very debatable. Having a high end OLED TV with a good image processing engine build-in my conclusion is no. Worse if movies need to be converted from original ISO to some other format to just enable DV for those. So will keep my earlier generation Philips OLED for some time more (newer TV models from some brands may have both HDR10+ and DV).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    elpablo and Osmar like this.
  3. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

a member of a local forum where I live has both the oppo and z9x. he seems to think oppo is slightly better in both picture and sound.

4. Nice Monkey

Highly subjective for sure and can only really confirm for HD music.

The movies DD/DTS/PCM sound via HDMI is potentially slightly better due to higher clock accuracy and stability (oscillator itself and PSU). UHD3000 also has a very good Linear PSU so that advantage will not be there with that model and just the clock oscillator itself remains a potential source for better audio via HDMI (integral part of the RTD1619 SOC).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  5. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

The picture on the Oppo is totally balanced, you trust the HDR and HD colour output, I think Vincent said there was a slight Chroma error that isn’t noticeable during normal playback, and of course you get full fat tv led DV also.

6. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

another member of the local forum replaced the standard psu on his z9x w a linear psu and claimed the sound has improved. sure hd music will be better testing material but i have an oppo clone and could tell DD+ sounds better compared w the video app even just on the tv speakers. compared to my z9s, i didnt do a/b compare so purely from memory only, the oppo clone has more treble n is less harsh on a concert bluray ripped w hdaudio. but i ran my z9s through an audio extractor to legacy amp, that might have made some difference.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  7. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

i often heard some oppo users (not all) complained abt a green tint when playing dv material but i suspect its tv (matching) related.

8. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

This DD+ sounding better is with bitstream mode?

9. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

from the oppo clone, yes, it was set up output bitstream. i dont know how the tv's internal video app handle/decode the DD+ audio stream.

10. Nice Monkey

Always compare results with the same condition using the same output mode (HDMI RAW in this case) connected to the same AMP or TV at the same (calibrated) output level as our ears typically perceive louder sounds as being better.

Using HDMI RAW with the same source with the same DAC/AMP never can reproduce a different spectrum (low to high) but clock variations may impact above all preciseness/positioning on a good setup.

The DAC and Analog section in the TV or AMP will highly influence the sound reproduced. TV's will often only use DD Core from a DD+ stream without telling you. Some even won't do DTS at all.

HD Music of good recordings do sound noticeably better (my visitors) on OPPO as it handles 24-bit correctly where Zidoo MP6 reduces this to 16-bit (promised to get fixed soon). Bigger difference even for SACD as that is converted to 16-bit 176.8 kHz PCM instead of doing native DSD.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  11. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

yes, probably pre-mature and unfair to draw any conclusion. its just i noticed the difference right away when I switched to the oppo clone. my hearing is fairly good though. I think I can tell the difference between louder vol and better treble.

interesting you mentioned the 16 bit handling on the zidoo. i have tried different bit rate DSDs on the oppo clone but couldnt really tell much difference between the top bit rate ones (via hdmi to my av amp, not ext dac)

12. Nice Monkey

I think DSD128 and DSD256 are overdoing the job. For sure I am too old myself to hear any difference there. But native DSD versus DSD => PCM for SACD is easy to hear for me.
    The same for PCM above 24-bit and /or above 192 kHz. But 16-bit to 24-bit combined with 48 to 96/192 kHz (as on DVD-Audio) can be heard by me for good recordings. The sample-size being far more important than the sampling-rate.

13. myzidoo

myzidoo Active Member Beta test group

I just started to experiment and test a bit with the UHD3000. For DV I still use an Oppo205 and for multichannel DSD I use an Exasound E28.
    I haven't really had time to judge the picture quality but music wise I have to say that the UHD3000 using the internal DAC sounds a bit more "aerial"...OK that's the audiophile esotheric mambojambo right there....to say "to my ears I do prefer the UDH3000" over the oppo 205.
    It still doesn't "sound as good to me" as the same DSD file played through roon over the exasound but for the UHD3000 (considering all the rest it does) I am really impressed so far

Nice Monkey and gymnos like this.
  14. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

Thanks for your test.

We are waiting a comparison about picture quailty.

DELUCAS likes this.
  15. DELUCAS

Thanks thats what the thread is about .

16. myzidoo

myzidoo Active Member Beta test group

gymnos and DELUCAS like this.
  17. DELUCAS

18. samana

samana New Member

can you please send link to the z9x linear psu you bought?

19. Enet

Enet Active Member

Before selling my Oppo clone I did some basic PQ and AQ testing. For PQ I used detailed low light scenes which I felt would highlight any obvious issues. Any differences I found where so minor that I'm not even sure they were really there. I've always felt the the Oppo clone had slightly better AQ than Android boxes but I don't hear any obvious AQ difference between the Oppo clone and the z1000.

DELUCAS likes this.
  20. Nice Monkey

https://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=4907.0
    In fact swapped my TV for last years model with DV and HDR10+. Debatable if it is worth the extra money but had a nice offer I could not resist. ;)