Confirmed aggregated problems upto FW V6.4(7).42 (no feature requests)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I will (try to) aggregate pending problems/bugs up to the FW6.4(7).42 here. Running on my Z9X which is kept a clean machine (nothing added in any way).

Items fixed
    before FW6.4(7).18 were removed. The focus is on the more serious items and features directly claimed to be included. Will keep updating fixed with any new FW released for all models.

Things confirmed as fixed will be marked green with the actual FW release and be removed with the next FW update available for all models. Assigned numbers will be kept.
    Please don't forget to report items you think have been fixed too!
    Reading all replies is a walk through time with history of problems reported and those solved with later FW's released.

Hot items are displayed in red. These have a big impact at least for the users relying on a bugged existing feature which must have been introduced later. Not for new features under development or things which never worked correctly before.
    Things not working as one likes, inconveniences or feature requests are not to be included. Just matters not working as advertised/claimed.

Problems must be repeatable and confirmed by several persons. They also should implicitly apply to all RTD1619DR based models and any TV/AMP being used unless stated specifically.
    Use my Z9X purely for validation being a clean machine with no add-ons installed.
    Please don't start discussions here, do that in the FW release topic itself or start a dedicated topic for it. Just mention items you think that should be on the list. I will aggregate them next after reading the relevant material and/or reproducing myself.

1. BD menu processing.
    BD Menu processing works mostly (my guess above 95% but actually dropping). The nasty thing is that BD Menu's mostly fail (getting stuck) when you need/want them to work most being with multi-cut version BD's, with Multi-Episode/Multi-Movie BD's and with BD Pure Audio albums as you need the menu for these to select the desired playlist/track.

Problems with BD-Menu are increasingly common due to the menu itself being multi-language
    which is now becoming a common case with recent movie releases above all those having also UHD releases. These have no region limits anymore resulting in mostly releasing global language versions. A reason for me to start flagging this problem in red as increasingly recent BD's don't work.

Some BD's just refusing to start pressing "play" you can start these mostly from "the chapters selection" as a workaround. This if it returns back to the main menu selecting "play" instead of starting playback as it should.
    The workaround for others is just starting default longest track playback without BD menu and then going to the BD Menu option for direct track selection. That will mostly do the trick to still getting the desired track to play but is not doable for Pure Audio BD albums.

A modest observation here is that these BD Menu problems are already there for 3 generations of players (My X9S was as good at it as my Z9X now is, some claim it was even slightly better). It is neither a single problem as there are multiple flaws in the BD-Menu handling.

2. DVD menu and playback processing
    DVD-Video menu processing has multiple flaws including turning subtitles off and a basic thing like chapter selection. These are there since the beginning for all Zidoo player models and generations. It just never got enough attention. The nasty thing is that DVD Menu's are always processed and can't be bypassed. In almost all cases one can still get the movie to play making it just annoying.
    DVD-Video compatibility mode often present on DVD-Audio discs regularly does not work at all making playback totally impossible. This for audio track and feature selection during actual playback. DVD-Audio discs (with MLP HD Audio in the AUDIO_TS folder) are not supported and never will work without perfect menu processing as there are many ways interactive menus are being used with these discs including using DVD-Video compatibility mode.

13. Playing a movie with a DTS-HD track adds 2-channels in info. MA 5.1 soundtrack, displays as DTS-HD 7.1 etc. DTS-HD MA 1.0 (so in mono) as info gives DTS-HD 3.0. Other ones in DTS or Dolby Digital are ok. Very strange it seems to do this for some audio tracks only and also very strange that Zidoo doesn't bother to solve this.

25. MCH Music titles play with gaps between tracks.
    Signaled this problem with DTS-CD but occurs with any MCH source via HDMI. The player is explicitly advertised supporting gapless without mentioning any restrictions. Using an Internal DAC downmixing to Stereo plays gapless also for MCH sources.
    One can convert an album to a single track with a matching CUE sheet as a bypass. Above all for live albums this is almost a must. Use myself the excellent XRECODE3 for this.

27. HDMI-IN recording not working (as it should).
    Used to work in the past as advertised on older models and therefore marked red. With the current series there are several serious problems reported making the feature and port ineffective. The HDMI-IN port was dropped on all Neo models! This is also a way to solve it.

28. BD Menu Video playback may stutter and drop audio with embedded videos

Lack of seamless branching seems to be the reason that during processing the BD menu videos may stutter and audio drops happen?
    The limitation will be present on all menus but the effect varies a lot as most use only a few files but some may use many with dramatic effect on smoothness. Don't confuse this problem with #1 which is about the BD Menu not working or getting stuck (Java processing). A good source to replicate this problem are BBC BD publications.

29. The Zidoo Controller APP shows a folder partially only if having more that 500 songs/titles
    Using the Front Panel or The TV with a remote this limit has been removed with FW 6.3.60 I think. Run into this playing some Top 2000 collections. This is very inconvenient as I normally use the APP for controlling MP6. The last APP update made this problem even more restrictive to 500 (used to be 1500) but at least it now still shows those first 500 and not empty.
    Fixed with Zidoo Controller v1.9.97 being tested well above 2000 entries.

33. When Powered-ON the Zidoo is dominant on the HDMI-CEC Bus.
    Every switch to another AMP port will be re-forced back to Zidoo. This being by powering on another device using HDMI-CEC or doing it manually on the AMP itself. The only bypass is putting the Zidoo in Standby then it finally shuts up.
    Happens still with just HDMI-CEC enabled and all individual options disabled.
    In fact it got worse with recent FW updates for Z9X. Now it powers on automatically with random events.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  2. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

3. Music Player playing 16-bit only with HD Audio sources being 24-bit (88.2, 96, 176.8, 192)
    Checking. will check AMP EDID for 24bit output.
    and will add Dop via HDMI function.

3. Nice Monkey

Thanks for the confirmation. :)

DoP (=DSD over PCM) via HDMI will be a mayor MP innovation when achieved. Above all if it is going to include MCH DSD? :cool:
    This will make MP a true SACD capable player. :p

Update: Seems it was meant for DoP via USB (not HDMI). Nice if having an external DAC. Maybe HDMI is still to follow next?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  4. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

gymnos likes this.
  5. Inikad

Inikad Active Member

5. Languages of HT and GUI conflict
    Impossible to set 2 different languages in GUI and HT4.0 anymore. The language of the GUI will become the language for the scrape in HT after a clear data/backup restore in HT4.0, or if you change the language of the GUI in the settings and restart your player.In any case, it will go back to english by default if the GUI language is set to english. Before, you could set 2 different languages in HT and GUI settings without any problem.

6. Return Remote button in poster wall
    In certain conditions, you can't use the return button of the remote to go back to the first movie of your collection. When "Classification mode" and "poster list alphabet navigation" are unselected in HT4.0 settings, to get a simple poster wall when opening the app, the function doesn't work anymore.

7. TV Series scrap accuracy (in french, other languages to be confirmed)
    When you scrape your TV Series in HT4.0, the accuracy is extremly low, no matter if the names of the episode respect the TMDb nomenclature and if the same files gave a perfect match in HT3.0 with older zidoo players. Over 10 french users have confirmed that problem on a french forum about Home Theater stuffs. Example of the nomenclature used for the show The Mandalorian: "The Mandalorian (2019).S01E01" (same result with "The Mandalorian.S01E01").

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    gymnos likes this.
  6. Nice Monkey

Sorry, but I won't include TV model and/or DV/VS10 specific issues here. Enough posts for that already. Stated also in the top entry.

7. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

definitely yes, I look forward to it with longing, I have a couple iso SACD with multichanell

Cineast likes this.
  8. Yaniv Dayan

Yaniv Dayan New Member

Can't paly UHD movies. Playing normal Blu-ray works fine, but when trying to play UHD movie, the unit fails to send EDID info to the receiver and you don't have picture or sound. The only way around it is to use the resolution button.
    Also allot of issues switching between 4k resolutions in home screen. Sometimes 60Hz works, sometimes 30Hz works

9. Inikad

Inikad Active Member

8. Clear system application Data not restarting the media player
    Usually, when you use "Clear Application Data" in the Quick Settings ( with all the external sources unplungged), the Zidoo player will restart automatically and it will display the "Welcome initial Settings". Now, it doesn't restart by itself and you have to do it manually. The Factory Reset function works properly and restarts the player as it is supposed to do.

darkeyes909 likes this.
  10. Mabon

Mabon Active Member

Can we get the wording right guys - "scrape" and "scrap" are two very different words in English with very different meanings.

(1) Scrape / Scraping / Scraped: gathering and copying of data from a website.

(2) Scrap / Scrapping / Scrapped: discard, abandon, abolish, remove or throw away

When we gather information we need to "scrape" not "scrap"

rozel likes this.
  11. Inikad

Inikad Active Member

Corrected. English is not my own language so I make some mistakes. ;)

12. Mabon

Mabon Active Member

Not picking on anyone here, but the mistake appears regularly not only this site but also on the Zidoo box itself ;)!!!

13. Inikad

Inikad Active Member

It’s ok, I am good with the idea of using the correct words to explain what I want to. :)

14. ATROX

ATROX New Member

9. MP does not support UTF-8 when reading tag files. Only English is displayed normally. National symbols (Russian for example) is displayed as Chinese characters.

Mabon likes this.
  15. Nice Monkey

It is question for me if it is an error. Clear Application Data could in fact work without a restart. So does it function as it should without restarting?
    A factory Reset obviously needs a restart to get back to defaults.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  16. Inikad

Inikad Active Member

Yes, it seems to work without to have to restart.

But
    , the next time that you will turn on your Zidoo, you will have to go through the "Welcome initial settings" on the screen. So, better to restart right away as it used to do with the Z9s or Z10 IMHO.

17. Nice Monkey

Correcting English in a friendly way should not be a problem. Never too old to learn. We all make mistakes there and indeed some English on the box itself is annoying. A good example is using Open/Close when toggling On/Off is meant (maybe the same when translated to Chinese?)

Occasionally mail some language errors to Zidoo myself.
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...nguage-corrections-rtd1619dr-models-fw.84852/
    Opened a new topic for that.

Mabon likes this.
  18. Nice Monkey

Thanks for testing. I changed the bug to either do a restart implicitly or better just give the message directly as a response to the command!

19. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

I noticed that the explorer's "Grid View" setting goes lost after a reboot, where the view defaults back to "List View".
    This is for browsing NFS shares. I would not know for SMB as I don't use this.

20. Inikad

Inikad Active Member

Not a big issue but I have noticed that from time to time (a random bug because this is not every time), the Weather app doesn't start automatically with your City. You have to open the app and then go back to the main page without doing anything else and the choosen city is back.