ZIDOO Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Unfortunately the market is not consistent here. I have seen more implementations with colors swapped. Once even reported to a brand that their implementation (NAS and a Router) was inconsistent within their own productranges.

Regarding changing colors that is only possible changing the output module/port as this is done in HW. ;)
    You need to make notes what colors mean on various boxes when diagnosing potential problems like bad/wrong cables.
    But again be happy at least there are leds on it, some save a few cents on that and use modules without leds at all.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  2. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Yes this was a dilema we had in our household a few months ago. My better half works from home now, due to Covid-19 and I've had to set her up with Zoom, Microsoft Teams and Google Teams etc etc so she can conduct her numerous daily online interviews, which is part of her job. For weeks she endured constant stuttering, silences and it was difficult initially to determine if it was our end or the client's end. We use Sky Broadband and the equipment (the Router in particular) are new and the latest models. A very helpful guy on the Sky Community told me to check the switch positions I had set up over the years to ensure only one switch in the cable route from the router to the device. I conduct my work from my study (where my PC and Router are situated) and my wife works from her study upstairs. My Home Theatre equipment (TV, AVR and MP's) is situated in my Living Room. So I use 2 of my Router's ports to feed the lounge and upstairs study and in both those 2 rooms I have a switch feeding the relative equipment. Before I got the help from the Community, my former router had only 2 ports so I had connected another switch adjacent to the Router to effectively expand the number of these ports. I had never experienced stuttering with my MP's so it was amystery why stuttering was being experienced using Online Conferencing. The very minute I removed the switch near the Router (the new one via Sky has 4 ports) the Online Conferencing was perfect - job done!

So not sure what was the route cause - maybe it was a Sky thing - so thought I'd mention this so as to eliminate it from the cause of @SolarGlider 's issue.

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It's not a bug, it's just how the network card is designed. There's no hard and fast rule for RJ-45 port light colours. Sometimes orange means "connected" and green means "traffic". Sometimes one green light means 100M and two green lights mean 1000M.

4. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Your wisdom and knowledge far exceeds my own but I've never seen this anomoly before - seems Chinese to me !

5. SolarGlider

SolarGlider Member

I still haven't found a solution for the 'choppy video' issue on the SMB share. I've googled every topic I can think of, made multiple changes to my firewall, tried to adapt the SMB shares but still no luck.
    When I activate the SMB server on the Zidoo I can find it in my network map without a problem, however when I try to search the IP address in a network browser it says the connection is refused.

In devices and printers in W10 the Z9X is visible but is greyed out and it mentions that it is connected to the network but it also mentions the device is not connected when it's definitely activated in the living room. I'm a pretty good Googler but I can't wrap my head around the SMB share issue responsible for the streaming problem.

6. Nice Monkey

Please don't confuse a web-interface with SMB. If you enable SMB Server on Zidoo it can only be accessed using a SMB Client on any device connecting to it.
    Today almost any OS on any box has a SMB Client integrated (next to DLNA which is even more common).

For throughput testing the IP Ping command can be used. There are many App's doing this for you inclusive one on your Zidoo.

7. SolarGlider

SolarGlider Member

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]
    Ok, I can ping the device in CMD, all packages received.

I just disabled SMB V1 but that didn't help either.
    When I use windows source control I can't find anything wrong either.

I see the Zidoo is on port 40364, would changing the port help?

8. SolarGlider

SolarGlider Member

9. Nice Monkey

I still think you are trying to connect with your webbrowser. You need to use a Network connection using a SMB Client! SMB uses port 445 and port 139.
    There are many tutorials including on this site how to use SMB.

10. SolarGlider

SolarGlider Member

I get that, I'm just not experienced with these things. I see that the local port is 445. I'll just have to figure out what you mean exactly.

11. Markswift2003

There are two basic ways to access the box via the network.

1. The Web Interface

From a Web browser (Edge, Chrome, Firefox etc) you type the following into the address bar:

http://IP_ADDRESS:9528

9528 is the port.

For example: http://192.168.0.53:9528

2. The SMB share

This requires the SAMBA server switching on in Network settings.

From an explorer window (Computer, Network browser etc) you type the following in the address bar:

\\IP_Address

No port is needed

For example:
    \\192.168.0.53

Note the direction of the slashes!

SolarGlider likes this.
  12. SolarGlider

SolarGlider Member

thank you @Markswift2003 for the clear directions. I could gain access through the web and from an explorer window.

Any idea why in devices and printers the Zidoo mentions "connected to the network" but status: not connected wants to say? It is alsy greyed out, I have the Samba server running.

13. SolarGlider

SolarGlider Member

14. Markswift2003

The vagaries of Windows 10 I'm afraid.

15. SolarGlider

SolarGlider Member

I just exchanged my router, changed my IP address, remounted my shares, nothing. Exactly the same problem still persists while the Dune works fine.

16. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Can you validate looking at router or switch network status light that Dune is connecting at 1000M and Zidoo at 100M using the same LAN cable?

17. SolarGlider

SolarGlider Member

There is only one light indicator on the wireless access point (also a gigabit switch) and it's green in both cases. The Dune shows two lights (orange and blinking green) and the Zidoo blinking orange (which according to Mark is 1000M). I just have to activate SMB v1 for the Dune, otherwise it can't see the shares. The Zidoo doesn't have this problem, it always shows the shares in whatever SMB version.
    If only it could play the files in the same solid way the Dune does I wouldn't keep coming back. :)

I already requested an RMA a couple of days ago, should I follow through or is there something else I can try?

18. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

And you don’t have a spare laptop / computer that you could connect to the same cable to validate download speed?

19. Markswift2003

If you can ping it and reach it through the IP address then it's sitting on the network fine - as I say, vagaries of Windows.

I always access anything on the network using IP addresses rather than Netbios names, especially with Windows 10 since that seems particularly deaf to network devices.

20. SolarGlider

SolarGlider Member

I connected the same UTP cable at the same location in the network where the Zidoo is connected to an older laptop and did an internet speedtest. It was shy 60 mbps going at 225 mpbs average compared to my much faster desktop.
    Since I know I didn't have nearly this many issues with the Z9S and the Dune also works mostly fine (besides not wanting to play Tenet UHD) I'm going to send it back and ask for an exchange.

When I receive the new one I'll let you guys know if the situation improved.
    Thanks everyone for all the help. I did learn much more about networks this week. :)