HDR10+

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by rozel, Oct 21, 2020.

1. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I hear your defence of the Vertex2, a similar argument could be put forward for the Samsung TV. The strange thing is that sometimes I'm having this issue and sometimes I'm not - this has to be the starting point and so far I've not moved forward - also explain why no issues with or without the AVR Key?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

@mijacmad said:

HDR10+ disables in any other output than 50HZ or 60HZ, you cannot use the change framerate/resolution feature. I'll look for your reply maybe in the HDR10+ thread instead ....

In reply to the post on the other thread...

Can you try this file:

https://mega.nz/file/ZH41Qb6J#pnZmHZ8cYbYHxnUjJWIV0bcZEXLTz4ZDYA5KiN8Czhs

I haven't seen your issue - HDR10+ files play fine at native resolution - I always have Auto Framerate and Resolution switched on.

This file is 4K23 HDR10+ and plays in HDR10+ as reported by the Vertex and also (since v6.0.66) in the info screen on the Zidoo.

3. Markswift2003

It's not a defence - the Vertex just does what it does.

Forget about custom EDIDs for the moment - just try the Vertex on passthrough (tick "AutoMix" and nothing else) and see how that behaves for HDR10+.

4. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Ok thanks, I will but can the Vertex2 interpret the meta data one way one minute and in a different way the next? Or is it my TV which interprets it? If the latter again how can it interpret it differently to produce the Darkness one minute and not produce it the next?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  5. Markswift2003

The Vertex doesn't interpret metadata; it doesn't do any processing - it either passes metadata through (as is the case with DV or HDR10+) or you can modify it if you wish (which you can only do with HDR10 due to it's static nature).

In the case of DV you can modify Dolby Block in the EDID which will affect the way the DV metadata is interpreted by the display but with both HDR10+ and HDR10, it's basically a switch in the EDID - it's either on or off.

6. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@Markswift2003 - Ok so how can the TV be at fault then please? One minute it interprets it one way and the next minute, another way - this is the issue which is not being answered

7. mijacmad

mijacmad Member

Hi, thanks for your reply. I downloaded the file and got the same results with auto framerate/resolution that would only show HDR10+ if it was output in either 50Hz or 60Hz. Pictures of input/output below with all recommended settings.

Zidoo Output Image: https://imgur.com/JdldIHb
    TV Output Image: https://imgur.com/6FRjqUs

8. Markswift2003

The Zidoo image shows it is outputting HDR10+.

Maybe the TV just isn't reporting it properly - I know my Samsung often misreports input signals even though I can confirm they are correct with the Vertex and the TV has in fact switched into that mode.

It will often report 1080p when the input is 4K and also often not report "UHD Colour" which is Samsung speak for "BT.2020 HDR" but in both those cases, the signal is correct and the TV is processing it correctly. Both my TV and projector report 24Hz for 23.976.

Since using HDFury devices I never trust what my displays report.

9. RIKO14

RIKO14 New Member

Hello,
    I would like to buy a zidoo (Z9X or Z10PRO or Z1000PRO, choice not yet made ..).
    my Tv is a SAMSUNG QE82Q70R which is HDR10 + but not DV, 4xHDMI 2.0 including one with an ARC and not EARC) and I also have to change my old Yamaha RX-V659 amplifier.
    I thought I would stay with Yamaha by taking an RX-A3070 or RX-A3080 but they are HDR10/DV but not HDR10+.
    So if I plug the Zidoo into the amp and the amp into the TV, a DV movie would be broadcast in HDR10 with the VS10, is that correct ? There is no way to let the DV or the DV> HDR10+ conversion go through so that the TV has HDR10+?
    or should I:
    - rather buy an amplifier with HDR10+ like the new DENON (AVC-X6700H would be the ~ equivalent model to the Yamaha RX-A3080)
    - wait for the futur UHD3000 with the dual HDMI output ?
    Another solution to offer ?
    Thank you for your help because I am completely lost.

10. Markswift2003

So yes, a DV movie would play back in HDR10.

If the amp does not support HDR10+ there's no way to force it through I'm afraid.

It's doubtful that there will be another Zidoo release with dual HDMI outputs since the SOC does not support it. I guess it's possible external to the SOC but I wouldn't hold my breath!

You could use an HDFury device for example, to take audio to the amp and video directly to the TV, but then you lose video switching on the amp if you have other sources.

Personally I'd upgrade to an amp that supports HDR10+.

11. RIKO14

RIKO14 New Member

thank you very much Markswift2003!
    could this type of product replace HDFURY (https://www.amazon.fr/commutateur-hdmi-2-0/s?k=commutateur+hdmi+2.0)?
    which amp to go best with my speakers?
    DENON (AVC-X6700H) or MARANTZ (SR-8015), or other ? My speakers are Sonus Faber VENERE (2x2.5 Front + center + 2x1.5 surround) and they require a lot of current (2x250 W at 6 Ohms, 89db)

12. Markswift2003

Nice speakers!

I wouldn't like to recommend anything unless I've tried it and I know HDFury devices work well.

Obviously you don't need that if you get a new amp - I have a Denon 8500 which drives three of these 4 ohm bad boys and it runs fine:

IB1S | PMC Loudspeakers (pmc-speakers.com)

(It is also driving 4 PMC Wafer2 rears, 4 PMC Wafer1 ceiling and 2 M&K heights and I run LOUD!)

So the Denon or the Marantz should be fine since they all come from the same stable - but I'd check with a Sonus dealer first.

13. RIKO14

RIKO14 New Member

Sonus dealer suggested me to buy a lower range amp with a power amp type LYNGDORF SDA-2400 (2x400 W at 4Ohms) but 2 k € the beast ...
    otherwise could I put a splitter in the HDMI output of the zidoo ?
    What would be the video and audio quality ?
    And which splitter to put ?

14. Markswift2003

I'd be really really surprised if the Denon or Marantz wouldn't drive those speakers really nicely - maybe worth asking a Denon dealer or on forums?

Anyway - splitters - I know the Vertex I use would do it but that's crazy overkill - maybe ask on the HDFury forums on AVS? Certainly something like the Integral will do it.

The problem you have is EDID - the TV EDID will say HDR10+ but the amp EDID will say HDR10 only so it's getting one that will pass the correct EDID back to the player so it outputs HDR10+.

I still think a new amp with HDR10+ will be the best way investment.

15. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

A lot more than either a HDfury AVR Key or even a Vertex2 - both which would split the Audio and Video nicely.

16. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

get an amp in for a quick trial first ,i think the sonus ppl were overstating the amp requires

doesnt places like bestbuy or amazon even do a 7 day return ?

dunno im in new zealand and they pretty much dont deliver the good stuff here :p
    my sony DN1080 is DV passthru but not hdr10+ but my panasonic z1000 oled has earc so zidoo to tv ,earc to amp and DV hdr10+ and HLG all working fine

17. mijacmad

mijacmad Member

It's odd because when I have used the most recent Amazon cube with this TV, which also supports HDR10+, I was able to view HDR10+ using plex on the cube, leaving everything untouched, and the option of native (auto) frame rate switched on and the TV reported HDR10+ at 24fps without any issue. The only reason I did not continue using the Amazon cube for HDR10+ (and returned it) is that it does not support Atmos passthrough and why I then purchased the Zidoo, which will only transmit HDR10+ in 50Hz/60Hz.

18. mijacmad

mijacmad Member

Have just now also tested every possible HDR10+ avenue, and the TV's native plex app/Amazon Prime are both playing back HDR10+ at 24fps detected by the TV, the only thing that doesn't is the Zidoo.

19. Markswift2003

On my Samsung setup, the Zidoo tells me it's outputting HDR10+, the Vertex tells me it's outputting HDR10+ so I know HDR10+ is getting to the TV. The TV however tells me nothing - where you'd expect the resolution and HDR status to be displayed, there is nothing and this happens with other sources too. The image is definitely 4K, and it is definitely HDR, so I assume it's reading the HDR10+ metadata too.

Like I said, with the vagaries of HDMI I never trust what a display says or doesn't say. I'm not sure what's missing in the stream so the TV doesn't report correctly, but the correct signal is certainly getting there.

20. mijacmad

mijacmad Member

The TV does report HDR10+ with those other 24fps sources though, it's just the Z9X that fails to show on every other resolution setting than 50/60Hz even if you set the resolution on the Z9X to 24Hz permanently.

The picture is somewhat darker than with HDR10+ too, you can definitely tell the difference when HDR10+ is not getting to the tv from the Zidoo at 24Hz to when you turn it back to 50/60Hz when the TV does report it being used.