Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos MKV bug - please acknowledge.

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DaMacFunkin, Nov 1, 2020.

1. xskip

xskip Active Member

2. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

3. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

played fine for me ,no audio to muck things up :p
    colours seemed ok....hard to tell a lot was the start up credits which looked pretty low ress after the faded flag colours seemed fine
    Pana z1000 so should be same as it shows for you :p

4. xskip

xskip Active Member

Hi, DV picture is OK. No problem in the movie. Only in intro, just before when text change, all the whites turn to green for milisecond.

Attached Files:

5. xskip

xskip Active Member

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  6. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

7. Rockhard

Rockhard New Member

As a current X8 owner which I bought in 2016, I'm pretty happy with my Zidoo unit. I'm finally thinking of upgrading with the Black Friday sales approaching, I almost pulled the trigger on Z9x. But all these talks about video stuttering is making me and I guess a lot of other people nervous. The only other option for a high end player is Nvidia Shield TV. However after going through some reviews and youtube videos I've found following shortcomings
    1. No native player support. You've to use Plex or Kodi. Kodi does not support DV yet officially and Plex feels clunky. With Plex you cannot avoid transcoding and the resulting stutter if you have PGS (forced) subtitles, which is very common in the media files I own
    2. No native Media browser like Zidoo. Again you've to use external File managers like ES or X-Plore
    3. It tries to be all all in one with Gaming and Streaming services(Netflix, Amazon) and local content player. While many may want this, for me I'm only interested in local content(usb connected hdd and NAS)

One advantage it has over Zidoo is AI upscaling. Some even say that is the only reason for buying Nvidia. I don't own Nvidia so I don't know how true this is. Maybe other member can chip in.

Zidoo for all it's fault , updates their firmwares regularly, have a really good native media player, have superior picture quality(if you disregard AI upscaling) and cleaner interface.

Would you guys recommend Z9X in my situation? I do not have a Atmos capable receiver. All the problems seem to be when you play Atmos content. I do want to play DV content as I've a Panasonic OLED Z1000 which supports this

8. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

if no atmos amp ,your in perfect spot to play majority of the muxed DV titles since almost all the issues with stutter and audio lag is only when using the atmos track
    same file switch to the 5.1 file and almost zero issues

kiwi by chance...panaz1000 same as me and i see jbhifi have the sony dn1080 atmos dts x amp same as mine for 50 percent off atm ie 700 odd....just in case

also i run my z9x direct to the pana z1000 and e arc back to the amp....that gives me hdr10 + playback too since the dn 1080 amp isnt hdr10+ passthru

9. jchanmc

jchanmc Member

I rip UHD DV Blue ray using DVDFab into a single MKV. I copy the DV track together into the MKV. Is this the correct way to rip in order the MKV support DV? Since there will be 2 video tracks within the MKV file. Which track will Zidoo play. I have encounter some of my collection unable to play in the just acquired Zidoo Z1000Pro

10. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

the next version of MakeMKV 1.15.4 is going to add the ability to take those 2 video tracks and convert to mkv with DV
    least thats how im reading it on their forum
    Atm Makemkv 1.15.3 can convert iso/full disc images to a DV Mkv file ,thou its hit and miss till ZIDOO techs sort the bugs out

11. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

No this is not correct, Zidoo will play this file in HDR10 only.
    For MEL titles use latest Makemkv, for FEL titles do a lot of reading.
    If you are hoping to keep TrueHD track then you can’t watch Dolby Vision on the Zidoo so it a moot point at the moment.

12. DaMacFunkin

The Zidoo being Android doesn’t have Native media players or file browsers, they are still apps, the difference is they are included in the image, on Shield you have to install them.
    I wouldn’t discount the shield just because you have to set up Plex.
    I would discount the shield because it’s color temperature is hot, but then again the Zidoo runs a little bit hot as well.
    The Shield via Plex will play profile 7 mkv Mel or Fel, Zidoo you need to convert Fel to profile 8.1 then if it had got a TrueHD track it still won’t play, oh and if it has PGS subs enabled on 8.1 profiles it will crash your player.

swings, roundabouts.

13. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

theyre adding the new ability in MakeMKV 1.15.4 coming up to be able to convert those dual vid track rips ie 21600 vid track and 1080p DV info track

A lot of the early rips were done with both files included....this will allow those to be DV working too

14. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

With my setup I haven't tested this issue - but does it effect LLDV or only DV ? If it is only DV, then I shall ignore as my TV doesn't support DV - I can get LLDV via the Vertex2 and haven't notice any stuttering etc with Atmos (yet lol).

15. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It doesn't seem to affect Profile 5 Dolby Vision - so if you play a Profile 5 stream with Atmos, that works fine. However, if for instance you take a Profile 7 stream with Atmos and play that as LLDV, you will see this sync issue.

The caveat with that statement is that the only dvhe.05.06 samples I have are not true lossless object based Atmos, rather lossy pre-rendered DD+ based Atmos, so it may not be that simple. Similarly I don't think I have any dvhe.07.06 DD+ lossy pre-rendered Atmos files either.... You may have prompted a bit of testing here ;)

If you have an HDR10 Atmos rip and play out as LLDV, that works fine.

So it's not so much an issue with the format per se, but a file compatibility issue.

I hesitate to call it stutter because I've seen some people confuse this with frame stutter which these boxes most certainly do not have an issue with.

16. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Right, thank you - another variable to add into the mix then :(

17. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Makes it more interesting!

18. Rockhard

Rockhard New Member

Thanks both of you. Yes I know about the red push issue in Nvidia and they're not too keen on fixing it. Another issue is HDR10+ is not supported(https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/309858/possibility-of-hdr10-support/) . Although this is not a deal breaker for me as my Panasonic internal player supports this with Audio ARC back to receiver

19. DaMacFunkin

We can add Dolby Vision and Flac to this also.

Sample available on request.

20. jchanmc

jchanmc Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020