Starting Zidoo Z9X needs to be fixed.

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Bill-Z9X, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

When Zidoo Z9X starting, different images and resolutions change, it doesn't have to be, this flickering is not normal.
    Normal is Black Screen (or black Screen with Zidoo) -> Start Screen (or the application selected at the start, e.g. HT4). Nothing in between!
    When I start my Zidoo X8, the first picture that comes up is the start picture.

It is also no longer possible to select whether standby or fully OFF

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

The Z9X starts up with default settings applied next it looks into Quick Settings and applies those which may trigger a new HDMI EDID exchange depending on the configuration which will typically cause a Video Interruption.

The SOC for X8 and Z9X are different as the new design supports WOL (Wake On LAN) e.g. deployed by Zidoo Controller. This won't work with sleep mode which is superfluous mostly anyway as it boots within half a minute.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  3. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

Here is the video from the player start

Lony likes this.
  4. Lony

Lony Active Member

Impressive start, that reminds me very strongly of "I won't come today, I'll come tomorrow" :p:eek:

So I'm glad that I'm not alone:D

Bill-Z9X likes this.
  5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Not really sure what you expect - as with most media players (EDID allowing) it will start with a splash screen at 1080p60 and then (again, EDID allowing) will change to the resolution and refresh rate selected as per settings. This is normal.

Any flickering etc is down to how well (or badly) the display handles the changes in modes.

6. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

Ah, the TV is the problem here? Sorry, I can't accept that. I counted approximately 9 image changes, You just declared only one change.
    I see it differently: The video output should be blocked until the final picture comes. In the meantime, the player can deal with the recognition of EDID values.

7. Markswift2003

Yep, that's exactly what it does. Pretty standard stuff.
    You can watch the boot sequence if you connect to the internal UART and port to a terminal program like PuTTY.

The HDMI frequency initialises at 148MHz (which in my case is 1080p60 422 LLDV) for the splash screen:

HDMI_Frequency 148 :1080p50,1080p60
    Sampling_Frequency 3 :48K
    CTS = 148500, N = 6144
    [+]HDMI_gen_audio_infoframe
    CA:2CH: L,R
    [-]HDMI_gen_audio_infoframe
    [-]SET_HDMI_Audio

And then changes to the selected GUI mode at 297MHz (in my case 4K23 422 LLDV):

HDMI_Frequency 297 4K
    Sampling_Frequency 3 :48K
    [VO_Task_Poll]delta long!!4971
    _Task_Poll]delta long!!4971
    CTS = 148500, N = 6144
    [+]HDMI_gen_audio_infoframe
    CA:2CH: L,R
    [-]HDMI_gen_audio_infoframe
    [-]SET_HDMI_Audio

8. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

I recorded start-up processes again with 4 players. Zidoo X9 has the best start-up process, fast and no unnecessary screen changes - perfect.
    Zidoo Z9X takes about 25 seconds to start and has 6 picture changes. I don't know how Markswift2003 gets one, everything can be seen in the video and I have listed all 7 pictures separately.

Zidoo X8 start, start time duration 6 sec.

OppoClone start, start time duration 12 sec.

H96 start, 25€ Player, start time duration 40 sec.

Zidoo Z9X start, without VS10, all settings on auto, start time duration 25 sec.

Change of pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lony likes this.
  9. Markswift2003

Just use Standby then.

DELUCAS likes this.
  10. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Thats Funny

Markswift2003 likes this.
  11. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

I would like to do that. Can you maybe tell me how I can do it?

12. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

1 Power up Zidoo
    2 Power up Receiver / Amp
    3 Power up Tv Screen
    4 sit down get comfy
    5 By then All Syncing will be resolved and you can watch a Movie

13. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

Very funny...
    How can I activate standby on Z9X? With X8 I could do that in the Other Menu.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  14. Markswift2003

Press and hold the Power Button and you can choose powerOff options.

15. MicleCh

MicleCh New Member

Doesn't work with HDMI CEC power off (from TV).
    And there is no Advanced settings - Developer options - Deep sleep mode (like z9x).

Bill-Z9X likes this.
  16. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

Yes, I have TV on and off active, no standby on Zidoo Z9X...

17. Random_Vibration

Random_Vibration Active Member

I own a X8 and it performs about the same as the Z9X when attached to the same TV.

In a device full of issues, this is not the battle I pick to fight. Other devices "hide" this activity better but but they need to do the same things, just more elegantly.

18. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

If standby would work on the Zidoo Z9X, then it would be the solution, the device starts up quickly and well from standby.
    But the function is faulty and needs to be fixed.
    For me, the CEC was on all the time and I couldn't put the device on standby.

MicleCh likes this.
  19. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I am running FW 6.0.46_G and just verified for somebody the deep-standby/sleep function.
    Off=Deep-standby (needs a re-boot) versus sleep (needs a wake only). Standby is used randomly for both modes by some.

There seems to be a problem with ZDMC v18.8 running when put to sleep but except that it works as designed for me.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  20. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

FW 6.0.60 - all problems are still there.
    When CEC is on - no standby.
    When CEC is off, in standby - no autostart of HT4.