ZIDOO Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes that's exactly how it should work with an ISO. Regardless of whether the disc has a full or minimal enhancement layer, only the HDR10(+) base layer will be played and decoded as HDR10 or 10+ by the player.

If you rip an MEL movie to MKV with MakeMKV it will play in DV or LLDV (depending on EDID) but I believe this is just a DV/LLDV conversion of the base layer. I have yet to figure out if the Dolby RPU is involved or not.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Tomasek likes this.
  2. Tomasek

Tomasek New Member

If I copy the MEL to MKV, then the movie won't even start and it will freeze :( or it will start and the cut will start only with HDR. I firmly hope that maybe the new firmware will fix it.

3. Bertrum

Bertrum Member

Hi, I received my Z9X unit to replace my ageing Med8ter and so far it is great.
    Tried a Minix Neo U9H for 4k but didn't really like Kodi so picked up this unit.
    Currently on the 035 beta f/w.
    Playing through Marantz SR 6012 and Samsung NU8000 TV. (HDR10+ but not DV)
    Smb shares from my PC no problems, as is picture and audio quality.
    I play mostly mkv, Bd file structure as well as some older Music DVDs, plus my music collection.
    The Video setting 'HDR10' reverts to Auto on restart, which do you think is better for this non DV Samsung TV?
    I transferred about 150 images to the internal screensaver folder and so far when using the Music player, it glitches after around 20 - 30 images and the song stops.
    Skipping to next song resolves it.
    So far so good, this seems like a great unit and can only get better once the FW matures a bit.
    You Guys are doing a great job with the Beta testing etc.

Oh, and I downloaded the Youtube apk as linked in this forum, but it crashes each time I try to log in??
    Cheers.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  4. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for your effort to help me. Since the TV reports in the EDID it is capable of 4K resolution, I really hope the Z9X can auto-detect it as a 4K SDR TV as a minimum.
    I have already escalated the missing CEA issue to the TV seller, and there is hardly any movement on that side.

For a simple Media Player - TV setup for family use (this is not even a HT setup), I cannot bear to think that I need to buy HD Fury which cost way more than the Z9X to solve my problem. I am really stuck between a rock and a hard place. Really sad situation that I am in.

Please please help ask Z9X DEV to at allow the firmware to auto-detect the TV as 4K SDR TV, I will be happy.

Thank you again.

5. Markswift2003

Given you're using a combination or SDR & HDR and Sammys switch modes quite quickly, I'd definitely stick with HDR set to AUTO.

Do you mean "Mapping HDR10" reverts to Auto on restart? If so, I've no idea why that would be - not seen that behaviour and there's nothing in your setup that should cause that.

(I still use a Mede8er for TV Series by the way)

6. Bertrum

Bertrum Member

Thanks Mark,
    Yes, I did mean mapping HDR10, I will switch back to auto.
    The Med8er has been a great machine, and still is for 1080 content, it's getting moved to the living room :)

I managed to sort out a few things with more of a play.
    Music player is definitely not liking the screensaver and stopping playing the track after it kicks in for a while.

Hopefully the devs can spend some time on the app soon.
    I have some hi res, DTS, DSD albums I like playing. Can use Heos as well I suppose... interesting to see what happens tho.
    Exciting times, now if we can just get out of 'lockdown' down here in Melbourne, Aus.

7. bobocher

bobocher New Member

We are in the same boat. I want to activate LLDV for my projector (See discussion early in the thread) and don’t want to buy HDFury just for that.

Maybe Zidoo team could implement a general solution for all EDID issues - let the user to upload to Z9X a manually prepared EDID as a file. Ideally we could upload multiple such files and select one from Z9X UI. When selected the custom EDID file overrides EDID from HDMI channel.

8. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

Wow, if Zidoo can do a "user created EDID" override, it's going to be an awesome feature that they can market. It'll allow users who are willing to tinker with EDID creation to solve some of the HDMI EDID compatibility issues. Pretty sure it'll add a lot of value to the media player.

9. Markswift2003

Well, I tried that EDID a bit more extensively - and yeah, it's kind of a no go.

The big issue is the lack of extension - there's nothing to define VICs, nothing to define bit depths, Video Capability, Colorimetry, HDR or even audio.

It's not just a case of saying "do 4K" - there's a whole lot of other stuff missing too.

I know it's of no help whatseover, but that EDID just doesn't belong in a television!

10. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I've done 3 MEL remuxes using MakeMKV with mixed results. Most times it goes to a green screen straight away. Sometimes will play OK. Not watched an entire movie when it works so not sure if it will bomb out or glitch at some point.

11. hugole1

hugole1 New Member

I checked the rights on Synology. They are the same rights as Z10 with working deleting files by NFS.

12. Oldirtydog

Oldirtydog Member

Update soon?

13. Bertrum

Bertrum Member

I resolved my Music player freeze issue by deleting all my transferred screensaver images and retaining the 4 original Zidoo supplied ones.
    Music plays all songs in folder now.
    It must be a problem with one of my image files.
    Is there any way to get the music player to open by default with say 'folder view'?

Also mucked around and installed the latest G firmware, still problematic logging into the supplied YouTube app, but ok with the Smart Youtube Tv app as suggested by Nice Monkey.

I notice with this G firmware all movie output is only 1080. Settings are the same as the non G version firmware that had no problems with this.
    If I want to revert back to the non Google play version do I just update with the relevant firmware or do a factory reset first?
    Cheers.

14. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Hoping so, they really need to fix the compatibility problem with some of the most popular tv's on the market.

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  15. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

No idea hoe going back to non-G FW works in practice. The point though is that G version is definitely not restricted to 1080P.
    Must something else must be causing it. Doing a factory reset is a valid step if you can't find the cause in settings.

16. Markswift2003

Next week.

blenky likes this.
  17. Nice Monkey

Loved to see ZIDOO bringing all RTD1296 models on par this week with the several purely FW related features. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  18. Markswift2003

Going from G to non-G is fine - I did it early on by default because test builds are non-G (just found that out recently!)

xskip likes this.
  19. Nice Monkey

Thanks for sharing. Will add it to my overview.

20. kenneth2281

kenneth2281 New Member

I have a lot of movies where no trailer has been found in home theater 4.0 how can that be and how can it be fixed