ZIDOO Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Aug 4, 2020.

1. fatman

fatman New Member

Try to install and it prompt out platform not supported when I execute it. Do I need to enable the root access before the installation?

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Nope, not working with Android 9 :(
    Zidoo has a fix for it pushed to some players, but push does not work with mine.

3. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't knew that

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

In all honestly, unless you can take advantage of Dolby Vision playback, there really is no great difference between the two models. Don't get me wrong - I'm an upgrade nut, so if Zidoo hadn't sent me a box, I'd have bought one anyway, so it depends how you feel about that.

I don't have Dolby Vision either, but with the help of an HDfury Vertex and an EDID editor, I can convince the box to do allsorts with VS10, but as I keep saying, it's still early days and the firmware definitely isn't ready for primetime yet, but it's getting there, so I hope a couple more iterations and it'll be good to go.

5. afss

afss Active Member

Are there any improvements to the standard HDR to SDR conversion (BT2020 variant) ? Does it perform exactly the same as the Z9S ?

6. Nice Monkey

I will test that this evening. Taking my player to my bedroom with a 1080 TV as difficult as that is using one leg (got some foot surgery last week).

DELUCAS likes this.
  7. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Thank you
    Im starting to get a lot of 4K Movie now and the colours / Brightness are so washed out as ive reported earlier
    That alone be worth the purchase till i find a 65inch 4K Monitor Oled or ...........

If it improves it or resolves it and with 4K Netflix added i know someone else who will be upgrading from the trusty old X10 . :)

good time to do some Balancing acts then ;)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  8. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

Can anybody compare with z9s :) 4k hdr movie on 4k tv and 1080p tv

9. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I don't have a DV or HDR10+ display - but I do like to get something new and shiny!

Markswift2003 likes this.
  10. Nice Monkey

Watched a 4K HDR movie on a 4K HDR OLED TV and definitely liked its picture. This using HDR set to AUTO which not uses VS10.
    Next test will be doing so on a 1080P TV. Auto frame-rate and auto-resolution now working fine for me (default 1080P),

11. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

v6.0.22_G
    1. Add custom options for color depth and chroma of different resolutions and frame rates
    2. Optimize the problem that the long key time of the remote control is too short
    3. Local playback adds the function of matching frame rate and resolution
    4. Modify the shortcut settings, the problem that the custom wallpaper cannot select the SMB path
    5. Fix the problem that the HDMI Range setting cannot be saved, and the screen will flashing when switching to 16-235
    6. Improve device compatibility, and solve some display devices that may flicker in automatic mode (EDID compatibility)
    7. Modified the issue of some DV movies playing stuck
    8. Fix the problem of asymmetrical upper and lower black borders in certain ratios of movies when using VS10 or LLDV mode
    9. Fix the problem of incorrect ratio when online video is cut to 4K
    10. Optimize online playback
    11. Repair the poster wall cannot be restored from the original backup
    12. Fix the problem that some projections cannot be switched to 3D mode
    13. Add the function of turning off the TV when the machine sleeps CEC
    14. Optimize the playback of DTS CUE music files
    15. Fix the setting of bt2020 mode on TVs that do not support 10bit. Problem with abnormal resolution
    16.Fixed the issue that the playback of 4K Blu-ray navigation would become 1080P
    17. Optimized Blu-ray navigation frame rate switching
    18. Fix the problem that third-party players cannot play
    19. The system adds a screen saver function
    20. Fix the problem that the quick setting crashes when only the AV output is connected
    21. Local player information button adds file name display
    22. Fix the problem that the local player's bit rate gets wrong
    23. Added HDR output display for local player information key
    24. Add initial support for Dolby vision MKVs (experimental function, support Profile5, 8 MEL)
    25. Fix the problem that the mobile APP cannot be restored to the factory
    26. Quick setting adds CEC setting option
    27. Fix the problem that the wallpaper of the file manager is not synchronized occasionally
    28. Fix the problem that the color space of mobile APP cannot be set
    29. Android mobile APP adds application installation function
    30. Fix the problem that some U disk causes the machine to enter the reset interface

http://ota-cloudfront.zidoo.tv/Z9X/ota/Z9X_P_v6.0.22_G_202008111938_ota-package.zip

MD5:FDEE9B5DA1AB542F02E8760948387840

About Dolby vision MKVS Demo download:
    http://www.makemkv.com/download/dvtest/

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  12. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

@mirror thank you. Is this beta or stable?

13. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

Tnx team...
    Great support!

Can you explaine better the:
    "24. Add initial support for Dolby vision MKVs (experimental function, support Profile5, 8 MEL)"

Tnx

14. Nice Monkey

He a G version. :)

Was waiting for that one. No idea why an update push to my Z9X player never works? :(

The OTA update worked for me and installed FW 6.0.22 automatically.
    Next could do a manual USB update to bring it on FW 6.0.22_G with Google Play. :p
    Oh yes these updates go fast; clocked just under 3 minutes for an update including the final boot with the new version. :cool:

15. Markswift2003

The Realtek HDR to SDR conversion to both Rec.709 and Rec.2020 is the same as the Z9S. (SDR.2020 is fine, but the colour conversion from 2020 to 709 is terrible).

The VS10 does HDR Rec.2020 to SDR Rec.709 and does a much better job than the Realtek colour conversion although black clips at 2.5% in that mode at the moment.

You bring up a good point though - one thing I haven't tried is an EDID that supports Rec.2020 but NOT Rec.709 or HDR to see if VS10 will output SDR Rec.2020. Doubt it, but I'll give it a go :)

**EDIT**

It seems it does - if you send a non HDR BT.2020 EDID, VS10 seems to put out SDR.2020 - ie it will perform the tone mapping but not the colour conversion.

It does however still report Rec.709, so you need to be able to switch into Rec.2020 manually..

** EDIT AGAIN**

Wow! this is the only mode where black and white clip correctly too. Black clips at 64 and white at 940.

Thinking about it though, this probably means it's just passing the video as is - ie no tone mapping - so standard HDR without the SEI message... needs more testing...

All other modes currently clip black very badly, some extremely badly (at least with v6.0.19, haven't checked v6.0.22, but I doubt it's changed as I only reported yesterday)

16. Markswift2003

Oddly, I had the non G version pushed to mine. Not a problem though, I'll never use it.

17. Nice Monkey

Had serious troubles finding the magical GSF ID.
    Goto Settings/Other/About and take a note of the GSF ID (This is on Zidoo Settings) not Google Play Store which has a Settings too!

Had the same non G version pushed. Please re-read.

18. Markswift2003

Yeah - you said "Was waiting for that one. No idea why an update push to my Z9X player never works? "

I read from that that you meant an update push to your Z9X player never works. ;)

Ah - I see you edited afterwards..

19. Nice Monkey

That was to confuse the audience. :oops:
    But finally all good. Got the Play Store working. Need it for USB Audio Player PRO which does licence validation via the store. :)

Now we can do some testing again. I am starting to really like the new box. ;)

Markswift2003 likes this.
  20. afss

afss Active Member

Thanks for the great update ! I am hoping they can sort out for the VS10 engine to process HDR to SDR BT2020, but doing proper dynamic tone-mapping when the content is Dolby Vision ! This would be a game changer for projector owners.