New firmware v2.3.33 Beta version for ZIDOO Z9S release

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by McBluna, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Seen thus far a few spontaneous reboots with this FW happening both with Z9S and UHD2000. Still unclear for me what the conditions are but always seem to happen when doing an action using the Remote Control with Music Player playing.

Confirm the settings of Markswift2003 but I prefer resolution set to 1080P23 and AFR on Auto Frame-rate + Auto-resolution. My TV does a slightly better job on up-scaling to 4K I feel.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  2. karipu

karipu Member

Why 10-bit? Why not 12-bit?

Why YCbCr 444? Why not Auto?

3. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

What does this setting? What is the difference?
    ' Display/Advanced settings/HDMI Range Mode: 16-235'

4. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

on the other settings range it crushed Blacks ( way to Dark ) and for Plasma Displays it was way too dark 16-235 was the best option for me personaly and id imagine many others .

5. Nice Monkey

Full range is purely meant for professional setups with manual calibration. We see this being used above all for Videowall setups with many displays coupled together.

6. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Yes my Monitor Display just crushed the Blacks unwatchable especialy sci fi movies space scenes was very very bad
    16-235 was the setting option for me . :)

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

There is no point in using 12-bit since all it does with 10-bit video is pad the bit depth and increase HDMI bandwidth.

( Also, in the Zidoos, by design, 12-bit 444 actually sends 10-bit 444 for compatibility so it's actually a misnomer anyway)

You can use Auto, but I prefer a belt and braces approach since EDID detection has the potential to throw a wobbly depending on HDMI chain and timing.

8. Markswift2003

8-bit video has a maximum luminance range of 0-255 (2 to the power 8 = 256 levels) and 10-bit is 0-1023 (2 to the power 10 = 1024 levels.)

DVD, BluRay, UHD BluRay etc are all encoded in a limited range of 16-235 (8-bit) and 64-940 (10-bit) so you want to match that in your video settings.

If you set 0-255 you'll crush blacks and bloom whites since black stops at 16 and white stops at 235.

9. Sorry if I sneak in and my English too ......

So: 0-255 is the interval between thè gray scale at a computer level: "0" is black, "255" is white.
    All intermediate figures are "gradual change" from black (0) to white (255).

In the field of content for TV (I try to simplify the concepts), Black starts from "16" and goes up to White which is the number 235 .......

Quite simply, if we had a "computer content (for example, we used an HTPC)", we would have to set the whole chain, from the source, to the device with which you look, with the interval "0-255", if instead we have a content, let's call it normal, you have to set the whole chain to "16-235".
    If you don't, or you lose all the low lights, or you have a faded black, like a gray .......

I hope I made it clear the difference in the gray scale levels ......

10. Markswift2003

Yes that's correct.

The key is to match the dynamic range in every part of the chain, beginning from how the source file is encoded to the display.

11. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation

Markswift2003 likes this.
  12. cappy1

cappy1 Member

v2.3.33 beta FW released for UHD2000?

13. Nice Monkey

FW 2.3.32 with UHD2000 but that one is almost identical and the same Music Player version.

14. cappy1

cappy1 Member

Thanks, but given your comments, I think I will wait until potential issues are sorted out before updating.

15. Nice Monkey

That problem isn't new and is present since many FW versions. For sure this is the best one thus far.

16. cappy1

cappy1 Member

Hmm, for whatever reason I have never had the issues you described on two z9s and the UHD2000. Fingers crossed!

17. Nice Monkey

Seems to happen with Music Player playing DTS-CD and SACD which not many do probably. Also put Music Player typically in the background and use Media Center for album selection.
    There is when it goes wrong occasionally only.

18. cappy1

cappy1 Member

Any idea why my z9s and UHD2000 do not like 3840x2160p at 23 Hz? They always switch back to 3840x2160p 60Hz when connected to the Lumagen Radiance Pro with Sony 885 projector. (EDID on). I can set them to 23Hz when bypassing the Lumagen and outputting to Samsung TV.

19. skywalker1978

skywalker1978 Member

Thank you for that explenation. For the rest of commets I do thank you too, but I did not understand a word - it is like a foreing language :) Thanks anyway.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  20. Nice Monkey

It is the TV or Projector doing this. Some manufacturers think higher frame-rates is better and put on the highest FR possible by default.
    My Philips TV does the same.