Zidoo Z9X announced

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by Markswift2003, Apr 30, 2020.

1. darqman

darqman Member

My Dune HD RealBox 4k arrived today. Only 2 days from Hong Kong to Oklahoma via DHA.
    Come on Amazon, get with the program. :)

I'll know tonight if it lives up to it's claims.

2. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

Ok, tell us inpressions... :)

3. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

I'm not sure this is the right forum to talk about Dune here?

4. woody

woody Member

Dune chat might hopefully trigger the Zidoo folks here to either announce their competing product or just ban/delete such posts.

Can go either way. At least we would know that Zidoo support occasionally read these posts. It's another thing that they just play mute.

bob79 and mirror like this.
  5. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

BE sure that Zidoo interesting for this information too, more than us..
    And agree with @woody, the will trigger them to announce their competing product sooner.

So @darqman please tell us.....

6. Lala77

Lala77 New Member

I want you to share your experience about it.

7. Theeraphon

Theeraphon Member

Very interesting indeed. May I ask where did you order yours from?

Zidoo is lately slow on updating and fixing their firmwares. They should know that there are other media box companies out there moving forward.

8. darqman

darqman Member

dune-hd store directly.
    https://www.dune-hd.com/products/dune-hd-realbox-4k

9. darqman

darqman Member

Initial setup with network share was a pain. Took a couple hours to get a share connected and folders scanned. NFS didn't work so had to switch over to Samba share.
    But after getting it setup, I watched two Lionsgate titles with obfuscated playlists that never played correctly on my Z9s and they played flawlessly.
    My TV shows matched seasons and episodes without modifying

However, I prefer Zidoo's ability to create "Collection" or "Box sets" of movies.

I'm keeping both players. Dune's did live up to it's hype of playing titles with obfuscated playlist, very HAPPY about this.

DVD playback is same, still no ability to select chapter without returning to DVD menu.

Feel free to ask questions. I like both players.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    leonkoum likes this.
  10. xsander

xsander New Member

Hi, at Dune are there still problems with the 23.976HZ framerate which sends 23.988HZ?
    hence the stuttering on UHD, and many cuts in sound with Dolby Digital plus

11. xsander

xsander New Member

completely agree that can make them move zidoo! because it would be nice to have news about the new products, otherwise we will all go to Dune! lol

12. xsander

xsander New Member

usb2 !!!!!!!! :(
    it's a shame even if that's enough for the current standars!

13. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

It is a very cheap version! I don't expect Zidoo to come with an equivalent, but one never knows.
    As long as one knows what he is buying that is fine.

Dune HD RealBox 4K is a smaller brother. RTD1395 does functionally the same as RTD1619 just using the old CPU/GPU that is not a real problem. It is shy on ports with no USB3 and no SATA. The mainboard power section omitted the 12V => 5V internal stabilizer and the PSU is straight 5V 2A powering that mainboard directly (=10W total only!). USB3 / SATA can't even potentially work with it for sure and even 2x 500mA for USB2 might just do? I do highly recommend using a powered USB2 hub with it when using USB powered 2.5 inch HDD's with it.

The minimalist power design may have some impact on Video and Audio quality! It is a mainboard build around the Realtek RTD1395 SOC with as few additional components as possible. That is how the box could be made that small! Have still somewhere an old Xtreamer Wonder Pro with a very similar design (also 5V 2A).

It is running Android 7 which personally don't expect to be upgraded ever to Android 9.
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/about-android-os-versions-and-os-generations.77548/

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  14. darqman

darqman Member

BTW, the backlite Zidoo remote is superior. It feels premium like the Oppo 203 remote. The Dune remote is not backlite and just feels cheap. Plus, the door doesn't fit tight, it's loose and wobbly. Something to consider.
    My projector is a 1080p Sony SXRD and my collection is 1080p bluray and dvd. So, I don't have any UHD to test with or I would.
    Still waiting on 4k projectors to come down before I upgrade :)

15. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

I actually found the backlit remote too bright for my liking.
    re uhd vs hd, on my 55" tv, i honestly resolution wise, couldnt tell a huge difference but color and contrast is day n nite. in fact, some scenes r so bright that they hurt my eyes (when watch in the dark)

16. Nice Monkey

Could you also try some Discs known for seamless branching problems: Pixar animations, multi version/cut discs etc?

I think they will work flawless but would be good to be confirmed.

17. looun

looun Member

OpenWRT... again? sure a old version like old players
    why don't release FW with AoL(Android over Linux) ?
    Real linux stack with a lot of possibility.

soc support DV ... SBC certificate from dolby lab it's another story ...long story.
    I don't think dolby welcome a "mkv player"

18. Nice Monkey

The playback of XVID (not DIVX) and MKV is not a problem. All DV certified TV's do play those too.

19. looun

looun Member

XVID !?? what does this have to do with Dolby vision?

i talk about dolby never will certificat a "ripper" player

20. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

My assumption is that Dolby Vision will only be available for OTT services.

Dolby always insisted that they would never licence a media player for DV but after Sony screwed up their DV TVs a couple of years ago leading the way for single layer Profile 5 streams, they have capitulated for Profile 5 OTT services - current examples are the ATV and Shield.