Home Theatre Update

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by Markswift2003, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Although the ZDMC wrapper was updated with Kodi 18, the last official version before it was deprecated was v17.6.1 and as you say, there is no reason whatsoever to upgrade from that.

2. Markswift2003

ZDMC is just a Kodi wrapper - it uses the same player as HT2.

3. catorcio

catorcio Member

se ZDMC non è stato raccomandato a favore di HT2 nel 2018 perché è ancora scarsa, dopo 2 anni?

4. Markswift2003

It's all a matter of opinion. I don't think it's poor at all - yes, there are improvements that need to be made, but on the whole it's probably the best front end to any media player out there.

And there is better to come...

Osmar likes this.
  5. ThomasP

ThomasP Active Member

Then it should be no bigger problem to bring it on 18.6. I can not understand why Zidoo is sleeping then.

Even if you see no reason to upgrade to a newer version there are other people like me who prefer the newest version.

6. Markswift2003

I'll try one more time.

HT2 replaced ZDMC.

ZDMC is no longer in development.

7. ThomasP

ThomasP Active Member

@Markswift2003

Says who? A normal member like you or is that an official statement from Zidoo. HT2 as a replacement for ZDMC/Kodi would be really stupid since Kodi is still a reason for lot of users to buy a player. And Zidoo will not have the money of this customers because of the small work on an well known frontend? But such a dump decision would look like a company like Zidoo who are only interested in bringin new players instead of maintaining their actual players.
    Take for an example the well-known USB3-bug. Over a year old and their technicians are not able to solve it. Or should i say are not interested in solving it. Both ways show the inability of this company. And to prefer HT2 instead of Kodi is the next step to loose more and more customers or just not to get them.

8. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

To be honest that one is new for me. I am not a KODI/ZDMC user/fan myself but many are using ZDMC.
    If so Zidoo should state it clearly in my modest view. They also could make available a Wrapper then facilitating using any KODI release. :(

But maybe Zidoo does not want to be linked with KODI at all anymore for legal reasons to get HDR10+, DV, Netflix etc certifications on new more expensive players? :cool:
    Would make sense to me as for KODI there are better and cheaper platforms anyway (LibreElec based e.g.).:p
    If so Zidoo should screen their homepage for references (including pictures) to KODI/ZDMC and remove those. ;)

I hope ISO support will not be sacrificed too with this move. I know well-known huge companies hate products supporting ISO including Google (=Android). The Android 9 OS release does not include ISO support natively anymore for sure.
    It will be the first thing I will look for with Zidoo X. :D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  9. Markswift2003

I don't think there's any great mystery - they just started developing their own movie front end which eventually superceded the old one.

They did comment at the time that HT2 was replacing ZDMC and I think I'm right in saying that it was not included with players subsequent to the X9S - I'm not 100% sure on that one, but it was certainly dropped on the Z9S.

10. Nice Monkey

It is/was not bundled with Z9S from the factory but neither is Google APP Services and both are explicitly made available at their homepage and shown on some pictures too. At least confusing where it is going isn't it?

Can you provide me with a link where they said so please? Will add it to my Z9S review as I am apparently giving the wrong information there.

Any indications about ISO support as you seem to be well informed?

11. ThomasP

ThomasP Active Member

@Nice Monkey

Just shouldn't always believe what some are saying here. It is just his assessment. But not very convincing.

12. Markswift2003

ISO support - no idea I'm afraid, it's not something I've ever got involved with.

Can't for the life of me find the comment made by Zidoo - as far as I remember it was on these forums and sometime around when HT was upgraded to HT2.

13. ThomasP

ThomasP Active Member

Without official statement from a employee of Zidoo i still have my doubts. There are enough busybodies here who are telling a lot of nonsense, and that called itself the official forum ... :rolleyes:

14. Nice Monkey

@Markswift2003
    Thanks for the quick reply. I don't recall to have ever seen anything about it, but it seems to fit the overall strategy.
    Please keep an keen eye on ISO support. It would be a great loss if that is stopped (seen it happen on HiSilicon based media players with Android8+).

@ThomasP
    On this forum anybody is allowed to say almost anything obeying some general policy/politeness rules. Forum moderation is very minor.
    I have a strong feeling moving from ZDMC => HT2 is indeed a policy being followed. Already wondered why it was not bundled anymore.

15. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

I have files iso called "DTS DEMO BLURAY DISC ..." named more or less like this, there is no way to see them in the HT2 library, the only way I have to exit HT2 and go through samba, how come they don't go to the library ?
    Thanks

16. Nice Monkey

Why do you think? They are in no database as you are not supposed to have (copies of) those. They are labeled "Just for promotion not for sales".

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  17. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

My 2 cents on this ZDMC / Kodi support. I don't think Zidoo is advertising or selling their devices as Kodi player.
    Kodi foundation with strict open source policy is not working well or supporting Realtek chipset and devices that use it like Zidoo.

Don't buy Zidoo if you are looking for Kodi, Netfix, IPTV etc. This is not the box for you.
    Zidoo is high end player of your own media library with high speed NAS support. ZDMC is just add on bonus.

Kodi (ZDMC) software player may play various formats of audio and video beyond Zidoo hardware payer capability but skipped frames and micro stutter will never end. ZDMC is only front end wrapper. Don't judge Zidoo by it.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  18. Markswift2003

As @Nice Monkey says, I wouldn't expect them to be scraped, but you can add details manually, including coverart and fanart.

19. Markswift2003

Agreed.

I've been shot down a few times for telling people that Realtek 129* players are simply not good with Kodi, and if that's your bag then get something that is. But it's really simple, they're just not Kodi players.

ZDMC did work extremely well to be fair, but it was a welcome relief when HT2 hit the decks.

20. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

If HT2 supposed to replace ZDMC than there is one thing that bothers me a lot - the search function. Maybe I don't know how to use it or something. I already commented on this few times in Zidoo forum with no answer. I'm Kodi long time user and I'm used to small media keyboard with shortcut keys for various functions. My Zidoo has small wireless media keyboard attached to it used for ZDMC and regular Zidoo remote for HT2 ;)

Why is the search function on HT2 so crippled? Why do I need to navigate to search icon use arrow keys to select numeric keys than arrow again to select letters? Why can't I type with keyboard directly? Why can't we use number keys from remote like on the flip phone to select letter by cycling through set using number key?

Is everybody using air-mouse?