New firmware v2.3.15_G(built-in google play) BETA version for ZIDOO Z9S release

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by zidoo, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Agreed this FW is not good. No there is no other way. Very annoying indeed.

2. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

Can't we go back to the previous firmware then?

3. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

You can't easily move back. You will need to follows Marks instructions from this post http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...or-zidoo-z9s-release.66585/page-3#post-113275

This latest 2.3.17 beat is worse than 2.2.15. It does NOT fix seamless branching and adds an audio sync issue. I'm leaving it alone until next firmware. My trusty Shield 2019 will do fine. Any time need menu support I'll use my Dune

Sigh

4. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

You do not understand anything about how to go back, the rom I can not download it also there is no written procedure on how to do it, I found this guide, is it valid? http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/how-to-flash-zidoo-x9s-unit.2959/ only that I don't know what ROM I have to put ......
    I am very angry because my Zidoo is unusable because of this firmware, I understand that they are beta versions but they must make sure that you can go back !!!! Or they must immediately publish a firmware that at least is as good as 2.3.15 and to be able to load it ..... in the meantime I can't use my Zidoo, this is absolutely not good !!

5. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Beta Means beta !!!

you upgrade at a big risk .
    If your not knowlegable in reverting back you should never upgrade until you hear its been officially released by Zidoo or members here give it a thumbs up as such .

Markswift2003 likes this.
  6. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

I understand that they are beta versions but they cannot make it practically impossible to go back, the beta versions are installed at your own risk and I agree but they also serve to improve them therefore they cannot make it impossible to go back ....
    At this point I would put the official version 2.3.10 but I am in a situation that I don't know how to do it ......

7. Nice Monkey

To go back you need this one:
    ZIDOO_Z9S_N_v1.7.8_201809292102_usb-install.img
    Must be named install.img and all set to go. If you don't know or want to do this don't install Betas.

The problem with going back is that settings are not implicit backward compatible. I hate it but do understand why it has been blocked.
    They could add downgrade/upgrade with implicit factory restore which some media players do.

Occasionally I see even setting problems with updates (some may not work correctly till cycled manually). For a Beta that can happen, but unacceptable for a general release.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    DELUCAS likes this.
  8. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

i agree. i dont know the reason, technical or otherwise, but afterall, beta might have issues and there should be an easy way to at least roll back to the last production ver. also i found the file naming conversion a little confusing, eg:

Version:v2.3.15_G
    Download url:http://apidl.zidoo.tv/Z9S/v2.3.15_G/ZIDOO_Z9S_N_v2.3.15_G_202001171523_ota-package.zip
    MD5: 825F848FFD915D6C7053C42ABB23A223
    Upgrade method:OTA

other than the title of this po, there is no indication that it is a beta ver. in fact, bcos it said OTA, it could easily be mistaken as production.

9. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

I want to go back but this room 1.7.8 how can I download it? So once I got back, I put the latest official firmware 2.3.10 and no longer install the beta ...... the problem now is how can I download this blessed 1.7. 8
    Thank you

10. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I will assume that English is not your main language or I could take offence :->

I know how to do this I have done it!

The link to Marks post has a mega download link for 1.7.8 in a zipped file. In the Zip is the image plus a text file that explains what to do. Link to 1.7.8 firmware below.

https://mega.nz/#!kfQmTSKJ!q0C9dVtV8_iXvHjVdiUk9y8DDZeuauY3CdPHZnlCLXE

11. Nice Monkey

I just explained why a roll-back is blocked: With the wrong settings applied it may render players completely unstable or cause things working badly to be confused as new problems.

Zidoo FW naming is indeed a bit confusing:
    - "ota-package" indicates that this FW can be installed with a running Android OS. It can either be installed via real OTA (Over The Air) network download if made available or via USB. This using the Android Update Menus for updating either way. It may in fact be installed on any type of medium accessible by Android with any Android supported file system. It uses the running Android itself to actually do the update. You may use a FAT32 formatted USB-Stick but no real need for doing so. Never use one myself, just push the file to my players HDD via my home network.
    -
    "usb-install" means it can only be installed by the emergency restore procedure. It uses the emergency boot-loader (a tiny program activated via pressing the Reset-PIN at power-on) to directly copy a full ROM-image of the full Android system to flash. The image must be installed with a fixed name "install.img" on a FAT32 formatted USB-drive to work. It is even a bit picky on the USB-drive as it is a very small/simple piece of code not allowing any deviations from what is expected by it. The update process is a bit more tricky too as the boot-loader itself is part of the image. If that one gets damaged during flashing you get a classic bricked player.
    "usb-install" is needed when one needs/likes to go back in FW releases or when the Android OS became unstable and does not run anymore when powering up the player (with or without an image on the TV or even the front display).

Regular updates are made available via a
    "ota-package" via the network plus via a downloaded file on the Zidoo home page. Beta updates use that same format but never are made available via the network by Zidoo nor on their home page. Some other brands do offer Betas via the network but have a Beta warning/choice for updating that way.
    So if you don't want any Betas just wait till you get the update available via the network or Zidoo Home download page. You can then still decide to do it manually which I do (as I want a copy of the FW).
    If my story above is regarded as (too) complex then I suggest to keep the fingers away from Betas. But anyway no real harm will be done but you might need to wait for a better FW update to come.

This should also explain why cross-flashing (putting in an alien FW from a different/cloned model or worse different brand) is so dangerous. If the way of activating the boot-loader (PIN in this case) or the boot-loader itself are implemented differently then there is absolutely no way to revert back with a bricked player as the result.

12. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

@Nice Monkey

Appreciate this is a beta and you take a chance but as you can't roll back to the previous firmware the Zidoo team should be really prompt with a fix when there is a major problem.

13. Nice Monkey

Something will come. :p
    Sooner or later for sure. :D

14. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

I went back to the official 2.3.10 after doing the reset procedure, everything ok now at least for the use I make of it ..... Regarding the beta 2.3.15 was fine with me and I am willing to try the beta also to help developers but if you install a beta that is not good THERE MUST BE THE POSSIBILITY TO GO BACK otherwise it is a mess, you have to put all the settings back, reload the whole library, the covers etc .... very annoying, very .....

Of course it is not: D I use a translator and I apologize to everyone.

15. Seamus

Seamus New Member

I would like to add that this downgrade is not something horrible, link for old firmware is up, procedure is well written. You can export some settings also, especially luci's ones. And do this before you upgrade to latest beta, so you can easily revert to old firmware. I am quite new in zidoo's firmware and have done downgrade twice already. No problems, no lost data, no lost settings. I take into account this, since I am playing with beta.
    I would suggest that developers should use their time for solving open issues, rather than make firmware downgradable.

16. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

Is there anyone who has problems with dolby atmos? To me the dolby atmos tracks transmit them to the preamplifier as trueHD 7.1 and not as dolby atmos ......

17. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The player can either bitstream or not - it can't choose between Atmos or TrueHD - it's the same track. If you're seeing TrueHD at the amp that would usually mean that the amp speaker assignment is wrong.

18. Siju Thomas

Siju Thomas New Member

I’m having Atmos files on 2.3.17 play nice with my receiver . No problems . My receiver is SC-LX901 pioneer.

19. woody

woody Member

Been running this for few weeks now. Its not perfect but i see definite improvements overall.

I would again add that i only use it for playing video files (various formats) from USB attached (both USB2.0 & USB3.0) local HDD. So my narrow usage might be limiting the odd issues faced by other users.

20. Nice Monkey

After upgrading to FW 2.3.17 for testing seamless branching needed to downgrade myself and decided to go for FW 2.3.10 which works just fine for me. Added zidoo_poster_v2.8.0.apk to it which also runs fine.

The review made by me on page-2 still applies (obviously apart from GAPP's). It seems to me FW 2.3.10 is the best overall thus far (maybe not for playing MKV's?).

Will keep this FW till the moment something new comes out from Zidoo officially.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020