New fw for X9S v2.1.36

Discussion in 'X9S Official Firmware Releases' started by leonkoum, Jan 14, 2020.

1. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

If you rally displayed 1080p on 4K display you would see small image in the middle of the screen with thick black borders all around.
    Your display is 4K native fixed resolution. If the image is filling entire screen or at least from left to right you have scaled 1080p input signal to 4K. If you see 1080p from Blu-Ray it means that the up-scaling is done in the TV (preferred method). If you see 2160/3840 the up-scaling was done by Zidoo.

Typically you would want the signal to be transmitted as close to the source as possible without any scaling, conversions or skipped frames. Let the TV to do up-scaling and signal processing to match best ability of the display panel.

No1_Dave and Franconian like this.
  2. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

Thanks for this info all along i was letting the zidoo do the upscaling. Yes a 1080p does display full widescreen image or full screen with 1080p. A 4k image display 2160/3840 on TV obviously.

3. godalmighty

godalmighty Active Member

i have LG 4K TV, when i play 1080p and give X9S upscaling job then in my TV info will shows 2160p
    but when i use auto switch resolution, it will command X9S to passthrough native reolution from the source to my TV, so in my TV info will shows 1080p and upscaling job will done by TV
    both will show the same result for image in my TV

4. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Every display device has image processing in different levels from very basic fast scaling like game mode to more advanced focused on motion, image clarity contrast range and dynamic balance. It's like taking the picture with good camera in jpg format. If you want to really get the most out of the camera and picture you should take it in RAW format. Scale and process it on the computer to your liking. Jpg is already processed internally in the camera, scaled to 8 bit per color and heavily compressed. The adjustments afterwards are very limited without showing obvious errors and artifacts. Similar with the TV or projector. You can't really compare the image when you play one source, stop change the setup and play the second. You would need to have two identical displays side by side to check if you see the difference or at least test the image with patterns for resolution and gradients.

The correct way is to play the source video in native format, resolution and frame rate. Let the display device do processing in one pass. If anybody likes to see 4K logo as signal coming from Zidoo even if the file is HD 1080p - that's OK too. The difference may not be that significant. You are not getting a better 4K image, trust me ;)

No1_Dave and godalmighty like this.
  5. godalmighty

yes i know, coz i dont have more than one display with the same specs and size :( thats why i can`t compare it side by side to see the diferent
    so i decide it best to let the my TV or my projector to do the upscaling
    and my setting with X9S is let the auto switch off since they have 23hz in display resolution coz i really dont like the black screen appear when start playing a file :p

6. Ztsky

Ztsky New Member

Hi all, please help after upgrade Sony Bravia 2014 TV + Zidoo X9S - Function CEC doesn't work at all .. I tried re-flash Zidoo, turn on CEC and turn off this function on Zidoo side and TV side.. doesn't help. The issue not in TV bcs Raspberry Pi 3 + Kodi was successfully detected and working via Sony remote control on the same HDMI cable..
    Any suggestion and resolutions will be appreciated.. don't want to buy new one.

7. Franconian

Franconian Active Member

Well, just downgrade to the last working version then. 2.1.36 is crap anyway.

8. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

CEC will work then break after each and every firmware its not supported fully
    I never use never will .

9. Ztsky

Ztsky New Member

What stable version should I try? And what flash method should i use to re-flash everything at once including wrt? As far as i remember ota will not touch it

10. tosh123

tosh123 Member

For the most people 2.1.28 is fine.

11. blasiusx

blasiusx Member

I hope you also write your problems to Zidoo Support. It's good to have an exchange of experience here, but basically it's not official, because it's just a forum.

And you can hardly see the tech supporters in the RTD1295 forums always less, so it's better to send problems/bugs to service@zidoo.tv.

In any case, I have always received an answer so far, and some things have already been implemented or improved. It is worth a try for sure. ;)

12. VonMagnum

VonMagnum Member

What I want to see now is the ability to read DTS from MP4/M4V files. KODI has had this for a long time and half my collection is M4V to be compatible with older AppleTVs for the longest time. I don't want to convert everythin to MKV (hundreds of movies) just because one player (Zidoo) can't read DTS from M4V.

13. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Have you tried renaming the file extensions only without remuxing or recoding ?

I do it all the time for my LG TV. It only reads standard file extensions like .mp4 or .mkv
    I have videos from my Sony camcorder in 1080i. TV player gives me flawless 1080p at 60fps. Zidoo is going through major stuttering with those files. The files could be in any format and extension. After renaming to MKV or MP4 it will play on the TV and Zidoo.

Try couple of files. If this works for older AppleTV it would probably work for Zidoo.

Let us know the outcome.

14. VonMagnum

VonMagnum Member

I didn't say the files wouldn't play. They just don't see any DTS audio tracks within them. It will play stereo or Dolby Digital. Or are you inferring if I change M4V to MP4 it will suddenly gain that ability?

15. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Just try it. Zidoo plays DTS files on my system without any problems. I don’t have.m4v files.

16. VonMagnum

VonMagnum Member

I'll try it when I get home, but it plays and even recognizes DTS:X tags on MKV. It's trivial between M4V and MP4 and so if that's it then it could be easily fixed. Renaming 800 file extensions isn't fun either even with some automated scripts (certainly not going to check each one for DTS content).

17. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

@VonMagnum did it work?

Renaming multiple files in Windows Explorers is not too bad. Sorty by type from right click. Click on first file, shift click on the last. Right click on the selection and choose rename. Rename only file extension. Try it on few files first. Selecting the ones with DTS is a different problem ;)

Zidoo is working on Home Theater and music app. The player is mostly from Realtek the chip manufacturer. It is difficult to get features and upgrades done in the player design.

18. VonMagnum

VonMagnum Member

I'm using a Mac (but I do have Windows 10 available as well to boot into). I've got a file renaming app for the Mac in any case, but other programs would have to be updated as well (all databases from iTunes to KODI would need to be redone to handle the file name changes). That's why I say it would be a pain regardless. KODI isn't just a scan either as I have added () notes for Atmos, DTS:X etc. and other things (e.g. I have 6 different versions of Blade Runner alone, all labeled by US Release, Workprint, Final Cut, etc.)

In any case, to test it, I renamed an M4V file that has a DTS track (Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit in DTS 7.1) to .MP4 instead and played it through the file manager. There was no difference. It showed AAC 2.0 and Dolby Digital 2.0 (which is incorrect; it's Dolby Digital 5.1, but it did play as 5.1 when selected). There was no sign of the DTS track in the Zidoo player. Worse yet, after about 2-3 minutes, the movie stopped for some reason and said "Can't Play File". I tried again and it got a little bit further, but stopped again with the same error. I don't think it likes MP4 files period.

I then tried and MKV file over the NFS network (Murder on the Orient Express; the new on in Atmos). This file played without stopping, but I would get an occasional "jump" or "freeze" in the movie at seemingly random intervals (Possibly WiFi reception anomalies?) I have it on pause right now halfway through. I've adjusted the antennas and will see if that helps any.

But overall, I get the impression I'd have to convert my entire M4V library over to MKV for them to play correctly and even then I might have reception issues or whatever causing those momentary freezes. I suspect my problems with KODI on my NVidia Shield may be due to reception anomalies as well (even though it always seems to say "Excellent" for the signal level when I check it).

I guess I could try relabeling the MP4 file to .MKV but I don't think that will work right. I simply think the Zidoo isn't really set up for MP4 in any form (at least with this firmware version).

(I'm getting bad gateway connections while typing this reply every 30-60 seconds; there must be a bad computer in-between somewhere)

EDIT: I tried renaming it to .MKV just to see what would happen. It played exactly the same (DTS soundtrack shows up as "AAC 2.0" but doesn't play any sound when clicked). If it's converted to an actual MKV file, it shows up as DTS and plays correctly.

I tried playing another M4V movie and it at least played without stopping for the 5 minutes I tested it (unlike Conan the Barbarian that wouldn't play more than a minute or two before throwing an error. That same movie plays perfectly fine in KODI).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  19. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Ok, now we all know:) Thanks for sharing the info.

“gateway connections” issue is probably coming from this forum server. I get it too on occasion.
    All my media devices are on Gigabit wired network. Only portable devices are on wifi. One less to wary about.

20. godalmighty

still have issue for tv shows when scrabbing, some episodes did not got plot info or background image or cast