RTD 1296 - Playback problem since firmware upgrade ??

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1296)' started by myzidoo, Dec 1, 2019.

1. myzidoo

myzidoo Active Member Beta test group

I experience issues on a X20 and a UHD2000. Playing back iso (ripped with anydvd), UHD 2000 firmware 2.3.1 and 2.3.3 + X20 firmware 2.2.9 (if i'm not mistaking).

image freezes and/or random repeats up to 3 seconds of movie. (bluray 23.98 refresh rate). It's clearly not a network issue.

Any others having this issue ?

2. skelton

skelton Member

Have you contacted their support and reported this problem?

I havn’t noticed anything strange on my X20 yet but i will try some content tomorrow and see if i can replicate it.

3. myzidoo

Nope not yet.
    Am still trying to figure out why. It's really strange. I received the UHD2000 last week. Took the X20 out of the rack and placed the 2000 in. I never had this issue with the X20. I then tried one of my last rips and it happened. I thought the rip was faulty but another user in the forum had exactly the same issue with his UHD2000. I then tried the X20 and it did exactly the same.
    Still investigating means that I made another rip (bdmv instead of iso) and could replicate on both players. HTPC or dune (go figure) plays it correctly.
    What is interesting is that it happens with a particular Bluray (Pixar the Shorts volume II) which has a very complicated structure. the freezing and replaying happens always at the same locations (the short called PRESTO - which is really funny BTW- is most impacted and full of replays).

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

We are not talking Seamless Branching related issues again? :eek:

Seamless branching is actually happening:
    • For movies that have more than version (extended, director's cut, etc.), because some scenes will exist in several versions
    • For movies which title is different depending on countries, and is displayed at the beginning or at the end
    • For cartoons that contain translatable text in some scenes (those parts will exist in several versions)
    As a result it happens a lot more for cartoons than for movies, as Pixar for example translates the text in images almost systematically.

The various latest FW's have marginal or very bad implementations dealing with seamless branching (keeps reverting back to bad regularly). Happens on all platforms RTD1295/RTD1296 since the beginning. No FW is good but some deal far better with it than others. :mad:

I solve this since years by using an Egreat media player for these BD's. Just make a MKV of the movie and the problem is gone (or as a test). :p

5. myzidoo

@Nice Monkey : that's exactly what I was suspecting. The behaviour, ticks all boxes of a seamless branching issue. Good idea with the mkv...will try that one.
    I'm not really a mkv guy as I do like the full menu experience. For concerts though mkv with chapter naming is the way to go. When the player than produces a chapter pop-up (like the dune does) it's brilliant as for concerts mostly one chapter/track = one song.
    BTW: The egreat A-11 Is a paperweight at home. I have locked that away a long time ago. Once they closed out the web interface (certainly due to the erratics of dvdfab's videon)...the product was dead for me...and looking at what is "not" going-on in their forum I suspect even the company is near dead.
    Zidoo remains for me the best box all-around.
    For the UHD2000 DSD bitstreaming over HDMI is the only missing feature...if it over all it could also do MCH DSD then I would be very pleased ...

gymnos likes this.
  6. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Indeed nothing moves these days at Egreat but still with the best BD Menu support and without any Seamless Branching problems.
    I keep mine in the rack for just those BD's. When Zidoo gets that correct also my A10 and A11 may move to storage, but not before. Egreat also plays both XVID and DIVX.

MCH DSD won't come (missing the horse power for decompressing that real time) this unless converted to MCH DSF prior to playback. In theory that could work if DSD via HDMI drivers are made available first. Maybe Zidoo X????